Road bike disc brake wheels, rear 135mm?

EarlofBarnet
EarlofBarnet Posts: 673
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at upgrading the wheels on my Boardman Cx Team. Do the majority of road disc brake wheels have a 135mm rear axle? I've been looking at Askium One Disc wheels and had conflicting advice as to whether they have a 130 or 135mm rear axle. I was wondering if the majority of road disc brake wheels are 135mm due to needing extra axle space for the disc rotor.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    I'm looking at upgrading the wheels on my Boardman Cx Team. Do the majority of road disc brake wheels have a 135mm rear axle? I've been looking at Askium One Disc wheels and had conflicting advice as to whether they have a 130 or 135mm rear axle. I was wondering if the majority of road disc brake wheels are 135mm due to needing extra axle space for the disc rotor.

Yes AFAIK the majority, if not all, disc wheelsets will be designed for a frame that has an OLD of 135mm. I think it's fairly safe to assume that whatever disc wheelset you decide upon will be compatible with your Boardman CX Team frameset
  • Excellent. Thanks for that.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I think you need to be a little more careful than has been suggested. It certainly used to be the case that pretty well all road disc wheels were 135mm with a 9mm QR axle. This will still be true of most wheels, but there are 142mm and through-axle wheels now, so check first. Aksium Ones will fit, but are heavy. If you can find another £100, get Kinesis Crosslight V3s.
  • The Kinesis wheels do look good, and I think they weigh in at around 1600g's. The original wheels on the Boardman are approx 2500g's, so it'd be a good weight saving!

The Askiums would save around 500g's and £100 ish over the Kinesis wheels. Just need to see if my budget will stretch to the Kinesis wheels.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Aksium one are 135mm rear but as said pretty weighty. Ksyrium disc come in a few hundred grams lighter, as do the Ksyrium Pro (I cannot wait until mine arrive :D )
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Yes AFAIK the majority, if not all, disc wheelsets will be designed for a frame that has an OLD of 135mm.

I think you're mostly right. My Volagi Liscio 1 has 130mm. The Liscio 2 has moved to 135mm
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH