Bontrager RXL 2014 Wheels

blimzw
blimzw Posts: 17
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
I recently saw a sale of Bontrager Race X Lite TLRs. Weighs in at 1450g with DT Swiss hubs. Is this is a good upgrade over my current DT Swiss 1800 (1800+g) wheels?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If you want lighter wheels, then they are seemingly lighter. But you haven't really given us much to go on..
  • blimzw
    blimzw Posts: 17
    If you want lighter wheels, then they are seemingly lighter. But you haven't really given us much to go on..

Just looking into whether this upgrade will improve ride quality and speed? My DTs run fine but I'm looking into whether the Bontis offer better stiffness, quality spokes etc. Given that it will only set me back AUD 400
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    See your other thread in the general forum...
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I have the Bontrager RXL wheels. They're decent enough. Good choice for a light non aero climbing wheel set.
    All depends on your riding though. If your rides are over some decent hills then they are a very good option. If you ride on flat or gentle rolling hills then there are better options available. But then again all depends on how much you are paying for them.
    They do accelerate nice and easily, I used the Madone with my RXLs for the first time in a month yesterday, and the first thing I noticed was the wheels do run smoothly and they feel nimble. But I don't think you will notice any speed differences. Being fair though I don't think you will notice speed differences with many wheels, if you did flat rides you might notice a small increase by going down the aero route, but generally you won't see much difference.
  • MJS996
    MJS996 Posts: 20
    My Trek Domane came with the standard Bontrager Race wheels. I've been looking to upgrade - the boss in my local bike shop recommended going to the RXL - he runs them on his Emonda which he did the Etape on back in the summer and reckons they are good.
    Will you see an improvement? Who knows, possibly not. Why haven't I gone for them? They just don't look trick - which might be a good or bad thing depending on what you want.