Autumn fat bike ride

freakychurchill
freakychurchill Posts: 82
edited December 2015 in Your pics and vids
So decided to go to the local woods for a quick spin as a nice time of year to get out..But a small vid together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeTOpVRuzVA

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Definitely not making me want a fat bike, looks clumsy and awkward.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Excellent video !
  • Definitely not making me want a fat bike, looks clumsy and awkward.

The bike's not great either ;)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Ah well not the best cyclist so that is prob to blame...But Fat bike is the way to go all you skinny tires don't know what there missing. ;)
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Ah well not the best cyclist so that is prob to blame...But Fat bike is the way to go all you skinny tires don't know what there missing. ;)

Hmmmm.....had a muddy ride with some fat bikes at the weekend, fat bikes certainly weren't as versatile as I was expecting, I just ploughed through the mud on my 29 without any real issues, couldn't really say the same for the fat bikes...plus they do seem to be significantly slower but appreciate speed not the main point of fat bikes.:
  • Ah well not the best cyclist so that is prob to blame...But Fat bike is the way to go all you skinny tires don't know what there missing. ;)

Hmmmm.....had a muddy ride with some fat bikes at the weekend, fat bikes certainly weren't as versatile as I was expecting, I just ploughed through the mud on my 29 without any real issues, couldn't really say the same for the fat bikes...plus they do seem to be significantly slower but appreciate speed not the main point of fat bikes.:

I think quite a few people put to much air in there tyres on fatties which makes them a bit naff I will go through most stuff and pass plenty of mountain bikers walking. They are a bit slower although over certain conditions they are faster. The video I am going over some pretty big rocks at the start which is not shown well in the video...I will say that jumps on a rigid fat bike is not a good idea though lol
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Ah well not the best cyclist so that is prob to blame...But Fat bike is the way to go all you skinny tires don't know what there missing. ;)

I think quite a few people put to much air in there tyres on fatties which makes them a bit naff I will go through most stuff and pass plenty of mountain bikers walking. They are a bit slower although over certain conditions they are faster. The video I am going over some pretty big rocks at the start which is not shown well in the video...I will say that jumps on a rigid fat bike is not a good idea though lol

One had 15 psi, the other 7 psi. Prob not the best test, just thick, deep gloopy mud which any bike will struggle with but the fat bikes seemed to float more on top of the mud and any weight inbalance on either side caused the back wheels to slide out whereas my skinny (2.1") tyres cut through the mud better - maybe less effort for the FB but better control on my 29???? I'll be honest they a cool, certainly gets loads of comments from random members of the public but not for me.

I'd like to see how high you bounce when you jump a FB!
  • [/quote]One had 15 psi, the other 7 psi. Prob not the best test, just thick, deep gloopy mud which any bike will struggle with but the fat bikes seemed to float more on top of the mud and any weight inbalance on either side caused the back wheels to slide out whereas my skinny (2.1") tyres cut through the mud better - maybe less effort for the FB but better control on my 29???? I'll be honest they a cool, certainly gets loads of comments from random members of the public but not for me.

I'd like to see how high you bounce when you jump a FB![/quote]

Well 15psi is a bit much but 7psi is about right. To be honest I have never struggled to go through mud and I live in Wales lol. Never rode a 29er so can't compare but as long as we all get out there and enjoy that is what matters. I will always say fat bikes are more fun but not everyone is the same....I tend to stay away from any jumps on a rigid Fattie ;)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had a ride on a fat bike on my local trails at the weekend. I won't be trading in my Transition for one, definitely not for me.