Eye protection in the dark

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
I have a nice pair of Oakley sunglasses for summer cycling in bright, sunny weather. However, I still feel I need some eye protection when cycling in dark conditions. Some of the cycle paths I go on have overgrown hedges with bits sticking out that sometimes catch me out and I get whacked on the head or face!

The same can happen when cycling under trees.

What's a good pair of clear safety glasses suitable for cycling at night and also in cold, wet conditions?

Comments

• What Oakley's? If Radar, just get a clear lens for them
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • rumbataz
    I'm not sure which ones they are. They were bought many years ago and were configured online (frame type, colour, lens type, lens colour, etc). They were bought for driving but now they're used for my cycling.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    You can get clear safety glasses by Bolle from Screwfix if you don't wanna spend much.
  • rumbataz
    After a bit of Googling and reading dozens of reviews, I ended up ordering a pair of Rayzor Professional Lightweight Black UV400 Sports Wrap Cycling Sunglasses for £12.50.

Many of the reviews for those commented on their suitability for cycling in the hours of darkness and how they reduced glare from car headlights at night. That's on top of their safety features (which was my main priority).

I'll be able to provide some feedback on them next week in case anyone else is looking for safety glasses for night-time cycling.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have jawbones with the lenses which change with brightness - they have a greenish tinge and I find them perfect for all year round - bright summer days and winter nights commuting. Perfect for me as I never have to think about changing to the 'right' lenses for any given condition.

Peter
  • Clear or yellow lenses work well in poor light
    left the forum March 2023
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Would probably go for clear in the dark, I have yellow lenses on my Radar's and find more often or not I end up taking them off as I don't like the tint they give in the dark (but that is a personal preference obviously).

That said in low light or dark daytime riding (lots of dark clouds etc) I prefer the yellow lenses.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Agree with photochromic lens recommendation. Clear in low light and dark enough for British summer sun. If you ride mountains in the continent, they are likely to be too weak.
  • Clear lenses in Radar frames. Perfect.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'd go with yellow lens. It makes really crappy dull days like today look almost sunny (dont underestimate this effect on your cheeriness) and work fine at night.
  • jamie77
    jamie77 Posts: 102
    I have clear lenses in my Radarlocks for the nights or misty/rainy days.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I'd go with yellow lens. It makes really crappy dull days like today look almost sunny (dont underestimate this effect on your cheeriness) and work fine at night.

What they said. Admittedly, I don't tend to do a lot of riding in the dark but in low light, I put yellow in my Rudy Rydons - perfect.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • I bought some Bolle clear glasses off ebay for about seven quid and I can't fault them, not quite "the rules" but at that price who gives....!
  • rumbataz
    I got the Rayzor's today and they're pretty good. Obviously they're safety glasses first and foremost but do look quite stylish. The ones I got have light yellow lenses. I haven't been out for a bike ride in them but had a quick walk around the block which took around 20 minutes in the dark and they definitely help with reducing glare from car headlights and street lights, and just generally improve contrast so things appear to be clearer to see. The slight yellow tint isn't really noticeable at night. It is in daylight though.

I tried looking at objects on the street with and without the glasses on and I saw detail more with them on. This was particularly noticeable when looking at things near and around street lights. It's hard to see a lot of detail with the naked eye. However, with the glasses on I could make out somewhat more detail and what I could see was sharper and more vivid in definition.

You get a cleaning cloth and a soft bag with them. The lenses have peelable protective covers on both sides (so a total of four to remove). These weren't immediately obvious!

The glasses wrap around quite deeply and should withstand insects and greenery that sticks out onto your path.

They're comfortable to wear, certainly for short periods of time.

All in all, a good buy as they do the job that I was after and actually managed to improve my night vision slightly.

I really wouldn't be worried about the yellow tint. It works its magic at night.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,702
    I find yellow lenses are great on gloomy days and fine on lit roads, but when it's really dark I can't see as well as I can with completely clear lenses.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    colourless lenses are the logical solution. Complicated solution I know
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Just fit brighter lights and wear the sunglasses.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would suggest clear lenses but recently I have been cycling on poor on unlit roads and the amount of cars that dazzled me I ended up taking my glasses off and riding with unprotected eyes. These are radarlock lenses and not scratched. I also have some white Bianchi Aquila my wife got me which came with clear, yellow, black and photochromic lenses and are excellent but let down by the nose pads keep falling off when cleaning.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Clear lenses for proper night riding with lights etc, yellow just doesn't work as well although is good for dull days and at dusk. I'm another oakley radarlock user for good weather but for night and winter (and mtbing) I use cheapo bolle spider safety glasses, very comfortable, don't fog up and doesn't matter if you constantly wipe your wet/dirty hands over them to clear the crap (which you will).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bolle-Spider-SPIPSI-Safety-Glasses-Clear-/181285499898?hash=item2a357533fa:g:rMMAAOxyY3ZR1BVC
  • Beer goggles