misumena vatia

team47b
team47b Posts: 6,425
edited November 2015 in The bottom bracket
Or White crab spider, seen on a chili...

DSC03878.jpg
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• team47b
    Anacridium aegyptium juvenile Egyptian locust

DSC03692_3.jpg
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    Pop the locust in boiling oil until crispy, then feed it to Marmite.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • team47b
    Marmite waits until they are full grown, then crunches them up, he's a health freak, he's a raw foodist, he doesn't eat fried food!

Dragon fly

DSC03834.jpg
  • pinno
    Marmite needs to be kept in at night and given a collar with a bell. Cats are mini environmental disasters and collectively worse (much as I love them) so Marmite can jolly well be fed on IAMS but we've had this argument before, so it is pointless.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,600
    Marmite needs to be kept in at night and given a collar with a bell. Cats are mini environmental disasters and collectively worse (much as I love them) so Marmite can jolly well be fed on IAMS but we've had this argument before, so it is pointless.
    Get a dog.

Next doors cat never comes in our garden now after a chance meeting with Muttley (no fighting involved, just a Mexican stand off followed by moggy retreat).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    I like cats. How would getting a dog prevent them from killing wildlife? There's a visiting moggy on my chair at this very moment and he would chomp your cockerpoodledoo and spit the bones out.
  • Stevo_666
    I like cats. How would getting a dog prevent them from killing wildlife? There's a visiting moggy on my chair at this very moment and he would chomp your cockerpoodledoo and spit the bones out.
    Not really fussed about whose pet is harder.

I'm fine with cats but the bigger their territory the more chance they have to kill local wildlife. Now that we've got the dog unintentionally keeping next doors cat out our garden we're getting some bird life back and may get robins nesting again soon.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Not really fussed about whose pet is harder.

I'm fine with cats but the bigger their territory the more chance they have to kill local wildlife. Now that we've got the dog unintentionally keeping next doors cat out our garden we're getting some bird life back and may get robins nesting again soon.

Robins are a bit too bold for their own good. I hope you are right.
  • team47b
    If you at all concerned my cats don't seem to have depleted the locust population to much. :D

And before you start being concerned for wildlife stop and think what you had for lunch.

7 billion people.

http://www.adaptt.org/killcounter.html

Cicada...

DSC03771.jpg
  • Stevo_666

And before you start being concerned for wildlife stop and think what you had for lunch.
    Baked potato with cheese and beans :wink:
  • pinno
    If you at all concerned my cats don't seem to have depleted the locust population to much. :D

7 billion people.

http://www.adaptt.org/killcounter.html

Ooo look at you.

PS My lunch was vegetarian. My dinner was vegetarian. Yesterday I ate no meat whatsoever and I have no qualms about eating meat but I do have concerns about the over consumption and rising consumption of meat. I eat very little meat.

Doesn't mean that we shouldn't reduce the impact cats have. Anyways, we can go down the long road of environmental destruction for animal feeds and end up in a moral cul-de-sac* but it's Saturday and we'll just end up agreeing, which is dull.

*Humans are almost totally responsible for the numbers of domestic cats globally?
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I used to have a dog who did his bit for evolution of the fittest/more intelligent. He did not chase cats, he caught them. We never saw a live cat in our garden. We had lots of bird life but I do not think the dog appreciated it. Magpies used to take the p1ss out of him.
    I don't have a dog now and there are several cats that use my garden for a loo and I don't have many birds.
    I believe cats rather like a bit of antifreeze. I am tempted.
  • Stevo_666
    I used to have a dog who did his bit for evolution of the fittest/more intelligent. He did not chase cats, he caught them. We never saw a live cat in our garden. We had lots of bird life but I do not think the dog appreciated it. Magpies used to take the p1ss out of him.
    I don't have a dog now and there are several cats that use my garden for a loo and I don't have many birds.
    There are probably a few people on here who want to know exactly what breed of dog you had.
  • lesfirth
    There are probably a few people on here who want to know exactly what breed of dog you had.

He was a Chow. He was quite quick in a sprint and where most dogs hesitate at the cats claw range he ploughed straight in. A quick shake and exit cat. He did it once when my dad had him on a long lead.Unfortunately the cats owner saw him. I had to pay the bill for the vet to finish the cat off. The cats owner did not agree with me when I said it was nature.Just the same as his cat killing a bird.
  • team47b
    Yeah, yeah, wateva

The dragon fly, male, Emporer, Anax Imperator

DSC00918.jpg
  • pinno
    I used to...tempted.

He... him. I had to pay the bill for the vet to finish the cat off. The cats owner did not agree with me when I said it was nature.Just the same as his cat killing a bird.

We had an Egyptian tabby called Mac, all 17lbs of him. Some nutter thought it would be funny to let his viscous Ferreting/Rabbiting Jack Russell off the lead after he had heard about our dog chasing cat.
    On the day, I remember looking at the unstoppable Jack Russell heading towards my rather bemused cat (which was bigger than the dog) and thinking that I needed to intervene quick, quite concerned about our cat's welfare.
    The cat quickly turned on the dog and cornered him in the coal bunker where he proceeded to shred the Jack Russell whilst we desperately tried to halt the carnage. The furious and aggressive owner picked the trembling bloodied wreck of a dog up and rushed him to the vet. The vet saved the dogs life but it remained a quivering wreck for the rest of it's existence and never went ferreting again.
    We then got a letter from a solicitor demanding payment of a very large vet's bill but was told by our solicitor that a cat is not classed as a domestic animal, so we didn't pay a penny.
    Some months later, we got a visit from the SSPCA and he said the man was charged for not keeping his dog under control.

I think it is appalling that you seem to derive some amusement and show nonchalance over your aggressive dog and I only wish it was Mac that he attempted to catch. Mac never ever spontaneously chased a dog. He was fine with our two Springers and any dog that was not outwardly aggressive towards him.
  • lesfirth
    I used to...tempted.

He... him. I had to pay the bill for the vet to finish the cat off. The cats owner did not agree with me when I said it was nature.Just the same as his cat killing a bird.

We had an Egyptian tabby called Mac, all 17lbs of him. Some nutter thought it would be funny to let his viscous Ferreting/Rabbiting Jack Russell off the lead after he had heard about our dog chasing cat.
    On the day, I remember looking at the unstoppable Jack Russell heading towards my rather bemused cat (which was bigger than the dog) and thinking that I needed to intervene quick, quite concerned about our cat's welfare.
    The cat quickly turned on the dog and cornered him in the coal bunker where he proceeded to shred the Jack Russell whilst we desperately tried to halt the carnage. The furious and aggressive owner picked the trembling bloodied wreck of a dog up and rushed him to the vet. The vet saved the dogs life but it remained a quivering wreck for the rest of it's existence and never went ferreting again.
    We then got a letter from a solicitor demanding payment of a very large vet's bill but was told by our solicitor that a cat is not classed as a domestic animal, so we didn't pay a penny.
    Some months later, we got a visit from the SSPCA and he said the man was charged for not keeping his dog under control.

I think it is appalling that you seem to derive some amusement and show nonchalance over your aggressive dog and I only wish it was Mac that he attempted to catch. Mac never ever spontaneously chased a dog. He was fine with our two Springers and any dog that was not outwardly aggressive towards him.

My dog was not aggressive to anything but cats and was kept on a lead or in our garden. Do you keep your cat under control or do you, as most cat owners, allow it to roam , foul other peoples property and kill any birds and rodents it comes across? Is a cat that catches birds "aggressive" or is that just what cats naturally do and is therefore OK?
  • pinno
    I used to...tempted.

My dog was not aggressive to anything but cats and was kept on a lead or in our garden. Do you keep your cat under control or do you, as most cat owners, allow it to roam , foul other peoples property and kill any birds and rodents it comes across? Is a cat that catches birds "aggressive" or is that just what cats naturally do and is therefore OK?

I got a bite :D

I keep my cat in at night. I have a collar and a bell on it. There is a huge copse at the top of my garden which is on common land where she can sh1t where she likes. As soon as we could, we got her an op because this reduces her chance of being pregnant and reduces the impact she has on wildlife. We also feed the birds and provide nesting boxes for tits as well as leaving parts of the garden wild with rotting wood for insects.
    I think that households should be restricted to 2 cats max and I am utterly fed up with the amount of dog sh1t left by dog owners and dog sh1t bags chucked into hedgerows and wherever they like. I am not saying for a minute that you do that but at least cat's bury their sh1t.
    I also think that neutering and sterilising of cats should be free of charge.
  • lesfirth

I keep my cat in at night. I have a collar and a bell on it. There is a huge copse at the top of my garden which is on common land where she can sh1t where she likes. As soon as we could, we got her an op because this reduces her chance of being pregnant and reduces the impact she has on wildlife. We also feed the birds and provide nesting boxes for tits as well as leaving parts of the garden wild with rotting wood for insects.
    I think that households should be restricted to 2 cats max and I am utterly fed up with the amount of dog sh1t left by dog owners and dog sh1t bags chucked into hedgerows and wherever they like. I am not saying for a minute that you do that but at least cat's bury their sh1t.
    I also think that neutering and sterilising of cats should be free of charge.[/quote]

You have no idea what your cat is upto when its out. It probably joins a couple of mates in that copse to mug any passing pitbull terriers. :D
  • pinno

I also think that neutering and sterilising of cats should be free of charge.

You have no idea what your cat is upto when its out. It probably joins a couple of mates in that copse to mug any passing pitbull terriers. :D[/quote]

No one who owns a cat knows what they get up to but people can reduce the impact of their predatory instincts by doing the things that I do. 27m of them in the UK.
    Mac died some years ago chasing another cat across a road, the silly f*cker, so no Pit bulls were harmed in the making of this thread.