Cycling in heavy rain

2»

Comments

• What pressure would you guys recommend putting in 700 x 42 tyres for wet riding? Bear in mind that I'm 21 stone...
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    What pressure would you guys recommend putting in 700 x 42 tyres for wet riding? Bear in mind that I'm 21 stone...

High enough not to get pinch flats. Somewhere around 55 - 60 psi I would think.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Most of the situations where you skid in the wet involve crossing smooth surfaces like road markings and tram lines etc. A road bike tyre on wet asphalt grips pretty much like it does on dry asphalt. I think the standard equation would work quite well for a tyre with no tread on a smooth painted road marking.
    Paint and metalwork have less grip than tarmac. When they're lubricated with water they are more slippery than when they are dry and a bicycle tyre riding over them is more likely to slip. That's not aquaplaning.
    Yes it is. When a film of water acts as a lubricant between two surfaces it is called viscous aquaplaning.

Which happens between two flat surfaces not a bike tyre and the road/manhole cover/ white line.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Paint and metalwork have less grip than tarmac. When they're lubricated with water they are more slippery than when they are dry and a bicycle tyre riding over them is more likely to slip. That's not aquaplaning.
    Yes it is. When a film of water acts as a lubricant between two surfaces it is called viscous aquaplaning.
    I'll hold my hands up and admit that I wasn't familiar with the term viscous aquaplaning. Having had a read around it's pretty clear that the discussion up until this point has been about dynamic aquaplaning, and I can't find any reference at all to viscous aquaplaning being in any way related to tyre pressure.

My statement would have been correct had I said "That's not dynamic aquaplaning"
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Lower pressures = bigger contact patch = bigger chance of being in contact with something that has some grip. Greater tyre deformation also allows tyre to mould around surface shape, increasing chance of finding grip too. And the tyre deformation and movement of tyre blocks will likely generate some heat, improving the stickiness of the tyre (although this may not be as pronounced on a bike as it is in a car).
  • The standard friction model does not work for tyres. In fact they are notoriously difficult to model, particularly slip angle characteristics.

However, in general you may assume that greater compliance will give greater traction in most situations due to the way the profile of the tyre tracks the profile of the road; a situation that the usual F=mu.N model cannot approach.
    Most of the situations where you skid in the wet involve crossing smooth surfaces like road markings and tram lines etc. A road bike tyre on wet asphalt grips pretty much like it does on dry asphalt. I think the standard equation would work quite well for a tyre with no tread on a smooth painted road marking.
    The part about a tire gripping wet asphalt pretty much like it does dry asphalt seems somewhat debatable.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc