Help - which bike?

Gabble Ratchet
Gabble Ratchet Posts: 17
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
First proper road bike, aiming to do a few sportives next year. Have done lots of research, standing in shops and test rides which have narrowed it down to two options. Both fit me perfectly (have tried others which didn't) both are in budget, both look good, just can't decide which to get.

Option 1 is Cannondale Synapse which has alloy frame, disc brakes and 11 speed 105 gearing. Option 2 is Specialized Roubaix SL4, Carbon frame, no discs and 9 speed Sora. Am middle age and not massively fit so the better gears of the Synapse appeals, but the carbon frame on the Specialized is more comfortable to ride long distance. Not bothered about discs or not. Not aiming to win anything, just get to get round, so edging towards the comfort option. Down the road I suppose I could upgrade the Specialized bike to 11 speed if necessary (but not until I've finished paying for the bike, for reasons of domestic harmony!). Alternatively if I already had the 11 speed bike I could spend that money on wheels. Tricky.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this dilemma ....

Comments

• dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    If it's your first bike I'd definitely go for the Synapse. You'll definitely appreciate the better gears (and they are considerably better) plus the aluminium frame will withstand more punishment than the carbon frame if you have any mishaps. I've only been riding a year and bought a £600 aluminium Decathlon bike with 10 speed 105 and for me it has been the perfect bike to learn the ropes on. I've had a few mishaps with the clipless pedals and I've never given my bike a thought, not sure it would be the same if it was carbon!
  • Agreed. I go with the Synapse with the excellent 105 (virtually as good as Ultegra folks write on here) over a carbon frame with just the good Sora.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Assuming both bikes that you tried are the right size and more or less set up properly for you, I am very surprised that you found the Roubaix that much more comfortable than the Synapse - out of the two, the Cannondale would always be my choice (but I confess to never having ridden a Roubaix and only having ridden a carbon Synapse but it is a very good bike).
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I was going to say I would go for the Roubaix as I was thinking of a Roubaix for my next bike, but I may think again as everyone else seems to be recommending the Synapse.

Although the Synapse has better gears, they both have the same low gear of 34/32, so either would be fine for your level of fitness. As you weren't bothered about having disc brakes, then I also thought you would go for the Roubaix. I also think the geometry on the Roubaix looks more relaxed if you don't want a big drop to the bars. The new type of seatpost on the Roubaix is also meant to be more comfortable.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Out of the two, Synapse I'd say, that's if they both fit. If it's an LBS job you'll probably find a better bike than either of those for the money if you shop around.
  • Interesting comments, surprisingly little love for the Specialized option. More thinking required ... all advice gratefully received, thanks
  • One thing I wanted to ask, the Roubaix felt quite twitchy, is that normal? In fairness I didn't test the Synapse over same route, and I'm used to MTB's so maybe it's just a road bike thing, but there were times it almost felt like the front wheel was going to tuck in and chuck me off.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    One thing I wanted to ask, the Roubaix felt quite twitchy, is that normal? In fairness I didn't test the Synapse over same route, and I'm used to MTB's so maybe it's just a road bike thing, but there were times it almost felt like the front wheel was going to tuck in and chuck me off.

Not clear which bikes front wheel felt like it was going to "tuck in" and chuck you off, the Spesh or the Dale?
  • I was referring to the Roubaix, but it's not important as it was a general question about road bikes (as I haven't ridden that many)
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    If you mainly ride an MTB, a road bike will feel twitchy at first until you adapt to it's geometry/handling characteristics, assuming you buy one the correct size/fit.
  • That's what I thought, thanks