Bike fit test

szotyori.adam
szotyori.adam Posts: 11
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi! How can you tell from a 10 min test ride if the bike fits you? Is there any evident sign or feeling which indicates you that the bike is too small?

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Hi! How can you tell from a 10 min test ride if the bike fits you? Is there any evident sign or feeling which indicates you that the bike is too small?

You can tell without riding it if you have the right information about your fit. Seeing as you have asked the question in the way you have, the direct answer to your question is you won't be able to.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Very generally if you have no standover height, have the saddle very low and find the reach too long then it is too big. For too small the saddle be very high, there would be alot of drop to the bars and you would feel cramped.

Although be a bit careful as differing body proportions and bike setup preferences have an influence.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    If you feel really stretched when down on the drops, it will be too big. I recently heard a quick test is with your elbow at the tip of then saddle, you fingers should just about reach the end of the stem where it meets the bars.

The bike you get may not be an exact fit, but if it feels a bit big you can always flip the stem upwards to bring the bars closer, or buy a shorter stem.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I recently heard a quick test is with your elbow at the tip of then saddle, you fingers should just about reach the end of the stem where it meets the bars.

You might well have heard it, but don't spread that kind of thing to someone looking for advice on fit because it's rubbish.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    I recently heard a quick test is with your elbow at the tip of then saddle, you fingers should just about reach the end of the stem where it meets the bars.

You might well have heard it, but don't spread that kind of thing to someone looking for advice on fit because it's rubbish.

Not necessarily rubbish, and don't dismiss those old school indicators.

there are some 'old school' indicators like that which can help getting the right size or avoid the wrong size.
    together with Knee over the pedal when the crank is at 90 degrees.
    With hands on the tops, by sight the handlebars should be in line with the front axle.

Those kind of thing mean you are not a million miles off.

Even setting the saddle height correctly and taking a look at the bike side on will give an indication, I have seen some extremes where the bike just looks plain wrong and clearly the wrong size.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I think for an averagely proportioned individual on the right sized bike those old school fitting tips / observations do seem to be in the right ball park. Most of them are spot on for me on both bikes, and one of those was professionally fitted (and then I copied that setup for the second). So they could help the unwary novice avoid buying something completely the wrong size.

I wouldn't recommend using them to really dial in a precise bike fit, nor for use by someone of unusual size or proportions...
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664

Not necessarily rubbish, and don't dismiss those old school indicators.

there are some 'old school' indicators like that which can help getting the right size or avoid the wrong size.
    together with Knee over the pedal when the crank is at 90 degrees.
    With hands on the tops, by sight the handlebars should be in line with the front axle.

Those kind of thing mean you are not a million miles off.

Even setting the saddle height correctly and taking a look at the bike side on will give an indication, I have seen some extremes where the bike just looks plain wrong and clearly the wrong size.
    Yes, the reach on my best bike was a bit too long, so I bought a shorter stem which is a much better fit for me and feels more comfortable. If I had known about that simple measurement check a few years ago, I would have changed the stem much earlier.