Advice on guards for Canondale Synapse + 25c tyres

mattrixdesign2
mattrixdesign2 Posts: 644
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Looking for some proper guards for the wifes bike in winter.

Its a Caad Synapse, rim brakes and running 25c tyres. I presume with it being a Synapse it should fit most guards?

Can anyone recommend a set, I use quick release guards, but in this insrance I would rather something that works well and can stay put for the winter months.

Say £30 budget?

Comments

• Something like these?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sks-longboard-mudguard-set/rp-prod68581

...the brakes are long reach FYI
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    For some strange reason Cannondale opted to not fit mudguard mounts on the Synapse so I believe you're stuck with the clip on variants such as SKS Raceblades and Crud Roadracers.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Is it a carbon or Ally Synapse? I ask because my Carbon one has not got any fender mounts at all but I thought (perhaps wrongly!) that the metal version did but on the front only (hidden away on the inside of the carbon fork). In any event, I have fitted some Giant Defy mudguards to my Allez with 25mm Conti GP 4 Seasons under Tiagra brakes and have no reason to believe that they would not go on my Synapse with Ultegra brakes. I actually posted details on them on another BR thread a couple of weeks ago which can be read here (see the last post - the offer of pictures still stands):

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13038955

Personally, having tried them both, I wouldn't touch race blades or crud catchers with a barge pole.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • ...hmmm, its got mounts at the base of the fork and the end where the seats stays/chain stays meet, I think that is it :roll:

Not sure what options that gives. May call the LBS.

FY the bike is Ally/54/Womens - even the bike shop isn't sure.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    ...hmmm, its got mounts at the base of the fork and the end where the seats stays/chain stays meet, I think that is it :roll:

Not sure what options that gives. May call the LBS.

FY the bike is Ally/54/Womens - even the bike shop isn't sure.

If I am understanding you properly and there are mounting points both front and back, your possibilities are probably endless - when you buy mudguards, there is usually a bracket that goes between the brake and the frame and all you have to do then is fix the guard at the back of the seat tube - if there isn't a fixing point there, a zip tie will do the job.

As an aside, if the bike shop can't tell you what the frame is, I probably wouldn't want to rely on them to do anything else and would start looking for another one.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)