Frame protection tape - useful or rubbish

Mettler
Mettler Posts: 2
edited November 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Got a new bike on the way.
Do I slap a load of that Invisitape on it to stop the stone chips or is that sort of stuff just for the fashion conscious label freaks who buy a bike to pose rather than ride?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I don't bother. I buy bikes to ride. My Nukeproof Scalp is three years old now and looks really tatty but is mechanically perfect so it's still brilliant to ride, I couldn't care less how it looks.
    I haven't bothered taping my Transition either. It's got a few marks but that's just character and reminders of fun times.
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    Got a new bike on the way.
    Do I slap a load of that Invisitape on it to stop the stone chips or is that sort of stuff just for the fashion conscious label freaks who buy a bike to pose rather than ride?

Personal choice, it will stop a lot of the common wear and tear. but why stop there, if you cover the whole frame in duct tape it will give enormous protection from bangs and scrapes and its only 3 quid a roll
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Great for covering rub points and protecting the frame and forks from minor stone strikes.
    Got to be worth it for helping to maintain a decent resale value for the bike as well.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • I'm a real fanny with stuff, but I think a mountain bike is a tool to be used and enjoyed. It's not an ornament. I keep my bike nice, by always keeping the drivetrain clean and lubed. It gets a wash after 3 or 4 mucky rides, but I've accepted that the downtube and behind the seat tube are peppered with stone chips and where the water bottle slips in and out of the cage leaves a few light scratches.

There is some cable rub on the fork crown too, these are all just signs of heavy use and it looks better at 6 months with these few minor signs of use than it would if it was still like it left the shop.

A marked mountain bike is an enjoyed mountain bike.
  • I have never done it in the past, but I have some clear patches that came with my new carbon bike. I can see two spots where there is some cable rub and will put the patches on there. Having said that I have not done it yet..

I think they are a good idea but I would just put them on the rub points, if you want to do the whole bike just do it. Your bike - happy riding :)
    Stay positive people :)
  • Got both my bikes wrapped by invisiframe... awesome for keeping it looking smart and tidy.

personal preference is to keep it smart to keep resale value up a bit for a few years, and I just like my pretty pretty bikes...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some small patches to prevent cable rub, the rest are honourable war wounds!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.