Knog Frog or Lezyne Femto?

mercia_man
mercia_man Posts: 1,431
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
After getting caught out by the earlier dusk around Ventoux in September, I'm considering an emergency get-you-home rear light (or front and rear pair) to keep me safe in darkness, tunnels and fog. Something small, light and unobtrusive I can leave attached to the seatpost or inside my saddle pack or jersey pocket.

The Knog Frog and Lezyne Femto lights look suitable. Anyone here with experience/recommendations?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have as set of Femto Drive lights on my MTB for riding to work and back. They are ok but I would say the Knog are better. I bought a Knog Blinder 4 rear light for my road bike and they are alot better brand IMO.

I get about 2 weeks use out of a set of 2 flat batteries on the Lezyne lights on full. I don't really like the rubber fastner that comes with them either.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I had the Knog Blinder 4 and loved it until the rubber strap broke after only a few month's use. Evan's replaced it with a Blinder for £10 less, but i fully expect the strap to break in the same way.

I haven't tried the Femtos, but have similar in the Cateye Nima, which I really do like. CR2032 batteries can be a pain though. Decathlon's Vioo are also decent enough for emergency lights.
  • I just bought the femto from halfords for 18 quid a pair. Pretty impressed with them.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • I like the Femtos too. I've heard a lot about Knog lights straps breaking.

I've just got the Zecto rear from Merlin and, for £20-ish I think it's great value and probably worth the extra money and slight extra weight over the Femto because of the increased visibility and USB charging.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mercia_man
    Thanks, everyone, for your feedback. I'm not looking for a light for regular use. I just want something small and light that will squeeze alongside my spare tube, levers and multi-tool in seat pack, ready for emergency use if I'm caught out by rapidly falling dusk, fog or unlit tunnels. As on this forum, reviews are mixed on Wiggle etc. Knog silicon bands do seem to break although this may not be an issue for me as I will only use the light occasionally. Had a look at the Lezyne Femto in Halfords today and it does look good if a bit bulky compared with the Frog. However, it does have a clip to attach to saddle pack loop as well as seatpost, which is a plus for me.

Another one that's now caught my eye is the Knog Blinder 1, really small with USB charging.
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    EBay Femto-esque LED specials. Under £2 each, CR2032 batteries included, postage from China included. I have no idea how that's possible but I've had 4 without any problem (apart from my daughter pulling the silicon strap apart till it snapped).

ec0159eb3526ed026x1.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Alloy-Bike-MBT-Cycling-Bicycle-Rear-Tail-LED-Light-Warning-Lamp-/331650564577?var=540789005148&hash=item4d37ea01e1:m:mcTj7q0FSgovC2KHux_fgYQ
  • mercia_man
    Thanks to everyone. Just ordered a pair of Femtos from Wiggle at £16.49.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    EBay Femto-esque LED specials. Under £2 each, CR2032 batteries included, postage from China included. I have no idea how that's possible but I've had 4 without any problem (apart from my daughter pulling the silicon strap apart till it snapped).

ec0159eb3526ed026x1.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Alloy-Bike-MBT-Cycling-Bicycle-Rear-Tail-LED-Light-Warning-Lamp-/331650564577?var=540789005148&hash=item4d37ea01e1:m:mcTj7q0FSgovC2KHux_fgYQ

How bright are these. Any comparisons?
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    Bright enough - they basically flash or are constant, I use them in flashing mode. They are in the "be seen" camp though, don't expect the lanes to light up red with them.

When I'm commuting I pair them up with a Lezyne micro drive, but for sunday rides I just stick with the single LED.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Should have bought a Cayeye Rapid X.