Warm winter jacket for up to £50

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Any suggestions for a warm soft-shell winter jacket for up to £50? I doesn't need it to be particularly waterproof - just warmer than a jersey. It would need to be windproof though. I'm really talking about cycling in the UK weather between December and February. It would also need to be highly visible.

So, in summary:

- Up to around £50
- Reflective/highly visible in the dark
- Windproof
- Nice and warm
- Soft, stretchy, cosy fit (particularly if worn over a base layer, bib tights and a jersey)

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-asv-windslam-roubaix-long-sleeve-jersey/

Something like this - you prob wont need a jersey underneath it though,
  • rumbataz
    Thanks for the link, Fenix. That one seems to meet the requirements. It's just a few quid over my £50 budget but it seems to be worth it.
  • Keep an eye on Aldi / Lidl too. I have an Aldi winter jacket that would fit your need as long as you want a lot of warmth. It'd be too warm for most of the winter!
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    That DHB is not a jacket. I bought a Sportful Softshell a couple of years ago from Evans for £40 which is great for commutes and saves my Rapha Softshell for the longer rides. You can find bargains in the sale (after Xmas) or look in Amazon for Gore Bike Wear softshells there are always a few knocking about.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    That DHB is not a jacket.

I know it calls itself a jersey - but I have last years incarnation. It has a full length zip - its fairly thick - I'm not sure when a jersey becomes a jacket. It was certainly the best top for me last winter. If its heavy rain I add a rain jacket over the top but I think most people do the same.

Oh yes Aldi does do some excellent jackets - not quite the cachet of the brands - but they are warm, well designed and go nuts for reflectives - all what you need in winter conditions.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    The Aldi winter softshell jackets for £17 are great. Just a bit too warm for the current temperatures. For a little bit more cash, Decathlon have quite a wide range of winter jackets these days.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    The Aldi winter softshell jackets for £17 are great. Just a bit too warm for the current temperatures. For a little bit more cash, Decathlon have quite a wide range of winter jackets these days.

+1 but they are insanely warm! Unless it's low single figures these are overkill

Personally, I layer up under a roubaix jersey, with maybe a windproof gilet on top. But then I've a lot of natural padding to keep me warm :evil:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Also look at second hand for bargains. My alp-x jacket was in as new condition and well under half price.
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Cyclestore done a cheeky ad a while back with their discounted jackets against Aldi. They have alot of discounted jackets that fit the bill

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/windproof-water_resistant_jackets
  • Any suggestions for a warm soft-shell winter jacket for up to £50? I doesn't need it to be particularly waterproof - just warmer than a jersey. It would need to be windproof though. I'm really talking about cycling in the UK weather between December and February. It would also need to be highly visible.

So, in summary:

- Up to around £50
    - Reflective/highly visible in the dark
    - Windproof
    - Nice and warm
    - Soft, stretchy, cosy fit (particularly if worn over a base layer, bib tights and a jersey)

If you're a size small, I'm going to be selling a Gore Phantom and DHB Windslam. I've got too many winter jerseys and jackets!

The Phantom's yours for £45 including postage if you're interested?
  • rumbataz
    I'm not size small I'm afraid. Just transitioning over from XL to L size in cycling gear now. Hope be down to size M in 5-6 months time if my health drive remains on track.

I had a dig around in my wardrobe and found a waterproof jacket that I recall cost me the best part of £200 around 10-12 years ago. I've probably only worn it around 5 times in that period!

I'm trying to figure out if it's a cycling jacket or not. It's made by 'Gill' and it says 'Race Collection' on it. It's very light grey in colour with some black trim and yellow flashes here and there. There's a full zip at the front with pull cords for the hem and neck.

It's a great-looking jacket and I've worn it out on walks a couple of times over the last few days. It doesn't have the extended tail that cycling jackets usually have.

However, it is supremely comfortable to wear, fits well and is waterproof and visible. I'm wondering whether this would suffice as a Winter jacket if I wore some of my thermal base layers and jerseys underneath?

I suspect the prime purpose would be some form of marine use for this jacket.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I bought a Gill jacket many years ago for mountain biking, they made sailing gear at the time and were alot cheaper than the equivalent mountain biking jacket.