Castelli Long Sleeve Jerseys

blimzw
blimzw Posts: 17
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi, Im looking to buy a jersey for Melbourne's spring/autumn/winter. I ride beachside as well as in land and temperatures go down to 8 (winter) and 12 (spring) degrees celcius minus wind chill. I've got a base layer already but would like to know which is better for my purposes / experiences with the jerseys! The Transparente is windproof at the front but costs a fair bit more.

Comments

• grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    edited November 2015
    I've got a Trasparante Jersey, my go-to Jersey for cooler spring or autumn days. Great piece of kit -windproof and very breathable but it's not for cold weather. Probably good for anything down to high single figures degrees centigrade.

Below that an Alpha would be better.

Edit : based on your edited temperatures I think you could get away with a Trasparente. Decent LS base layer will be fine down to 8 degrees. It gets too hot for me at around 15 with the lightest SS base layer underneath. Look out for offers - got mine at half price over the summer.
  • For that temperature range an Alpha is perfect. I use mine from 4 to 10, but as I live in a cold climate I am probably more cold tolerant than you.

The only thing you will need to change then is the base layer.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Gabba SS with arm warmers would be a cheaper option than the Alpha and probably more suitable for that temp range. It's been down to a few degrees at times in the UK this autumn and I've been wearing a Gabba with just a sleeveless mesh baselayer (and Sportful no rain arm warmers).
    More problems but still living....
  • blimzw
    So past 15 degrees, will a thermal base layer and normal jersey suffice?
  • grenw
    edited November 2015
    So past 15 degrees, will a thermal base layer and normal jersey suffice?

Above 15 degrees I'd be breaking out the short sleeves with a summer base layer.
  • grenw
    Gabba SS with arm warmers would be a cheaper option than the Alpha and probably more suitable for that temp range. It's been down to a few degrees at times in the UK this autumn and I've been wearing a Gabba with just a sleeveless mesh baselayer (and Sportful no rain arm warmers).

I'll be wearing that exact combination this afternoon but it's a wet 15 degrees here. I don't find it that warm, certainly not for single figures. Different horses I guess.

The missus finds her LS Gabba a lot warmer with a LS base layer though so if you don't need the flexibility of SS/arm warmers it could be a better option
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    I picked up a Trasparante at half price from the link below. I think it fits perfect for your temperature range. It has become my favorite jersey for this time of the year in the UK and you can adapt to different temperatures with different base layers.

http://www.castellicafe.co.uk/castelli-transparente-due-mens-wind-jersey-1?var=2502
  • blimzw
    Thanks Kim10!
  • Gaz777
    Gaz777 Posts: 84
    Does anyone know how the Trasparante sizing compares to the Alpha jersey sizing?
  • grenw
    Does anyone know how the Trasparante sizing compares to the Alpha jersey sizing?

Can't comment on Alpha Jersey but my Gabba, Trasparante and Alpha jackets are all medium. If anything the Trasparante is the roomiest but that may just be the material.
  • Gaz777
    My Alpha jacket and jersey are the same size, so that sounds like I should be able to order the same size in the Trasparante hopefully!
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I'm in Auckland, I use the Gabba Long Sleeve, if I think its going to rain and the Rapha Pro Team Jacket if I think it will be dry, I think the Castelli Trasparante is a similar concept to the PT.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I get away with using arm warmers with base layers worn underneath my short sleeve jerseys. A lot more versatile and probably a cheaper option. If it gets much colder or light rain I stick the Castelli shell top (without baselayer) over this.
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    Slightly off-topic, but I was looking into the same jerseys (most of my decent kit is Castelli, already have a Gabba 2) but just picked up a Sportful R&D Wind Jersey with a huge discount from Wiggle.

Similar tech to the transparente wind jersey - as you would expect given Sportful and Castelli are both under the same holding company.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Slightly off-topic, but I was looking into the same jerseys (most of my decent kit is Castelli, already have a Gabba 2) but just picked up a Sportful R&D Wind Jersey with a huge discount from Wiggle.

Similar tech to the transparente wind jersey - as you would expect given Sportful and Castelli are both under the same holding company.
    +1 I've got one and its ability to handle a wide range of temperatures (from 3 degrees C to 15 degrees plus) is remerkable. The Polartec Alpha insulation is also incredibly breathable. If you find one at a good discount snap it up. Sizing is very close, similar to Castelli.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Gaz777
    Just as a follow up to this, GrenW was spot on. The jersey was delivered today and the fit is identical to my alpha jersey, so I'm happy with that!