Rockshox poplock ain't working!

N3uI09
N3uI09 Posts: 16
edited November 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, i have a rockshox sid air front fork on my avalanche 2.0 when i bought the fork, the remote lockout didn't work, and i just locked/opened it on the crown, it could always hold itself!

Until now! the fork is always open now, and when i push it back, into locking position, it just turns itself back. Which is the point right? it is not suppose to be able to hold itself, right?

Okay then, i tried to mount my poplock, but the cable broke. Yesterday i bought a new cable, mounted it, but it doesn't work properly :-( when i lock the fork, by pushing the lever down, the fork locks, and the lever locks. But when i want to release the cable, to unlock the front fork up, the cable doesn't return back, and nothing happens inside the crown, nor outside :cry:

What am i doing wrong? the poplock turns fine, the cable runs without sticking to something, and if i turn the black locking device on the fork by hand, it turns perfectly...

Comments

• N3uI09
    ejvtxh.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Judging from the self tapper they might need a service.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have had three poplocks, they're useless and never work for very long.
    If you are happy to convert it to a crown lock it's pretty simple.
    Use a 24mm socket to remove the damper. Look inside the damper and you will see a wire spring. Unhook the bottom of the spring from the damper body. Refit the damper. Remove the knob and fit a small gromit or a fibre / nylon washer just under the knob to give it a bit more resistance.
  • N3uI09
    i would prefer a crown lockout, anyday! do you mean the big spring that goes from the top of the cylinder to the bottom, just remove that completly?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    No, the damper. Remove the blue knob and then remove the damper with a 24mm spanner or socket.