Giant Propel or Canyon Aeroad???

MikeWW
MikeWW Posts: 723
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Should be in the market for a new road bike shortly.
Budget is £2.5-£3.5k max but ideally towards the lower figure. I'll be racing it so don't want to spend too much.

Not really interested in Di2 -would be more than happy with Ultegra or SRAM Force

After an "aero" bike and narrowed it down to either

Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 2016 model http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/propel.advanced.pro.1/24974/90491/ although the 2015 looks a better spec if I can still get hold of one

or a Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 6.0 (pity the 2016 is less well specced than the 2015 model) https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/aeroad/aeroad-cf-slx-6-0.html

Thoughts/experience anyone? or any other suggestions?

Comments

• dean7879
    dean7879 Posts: 127
    like the look of the giant more but the canyon is lighter and probably a little better value for money
  • I have an Aeroad. It is nice. It is red.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • 288GTO
    288GTO Posts: 79
    I have an Aeroad. It is nice. It is red.

I'm ordering a red Aeroad 9.0 with Dura Ace Di2 next month. The Mavic's that come on the bike will be replaced by my Zipp 303's. I just have to cross my fingers as its being shipped to a friend of a friend in Mexico. I reside in America. :shock:
  • Wow

Was just discussing the same thing today - I am going down the Canyon route.

Why - both great bikes but ride what you like the look of, and for me the Canyon wins.
  • whichever fit.

the two bikes fit VERY differently.
  • Aeroroad if you can manage to get it to a Eurozone delivery address. Two and a half hundred quid off!
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    whichever fit.

the two bikes fit VERY differently.

in what way? comparing both M geo's there doesnt appear to be huge differences, 5mm in reach is nothing, the fit looks very similar, the Canyon comes with 25mm of head spacers, enough for anyone.

i went for the Canyon 6.0, they ve a great warranty, the bike is about a kilo lighter, but a big shame about the euro/pound pricing, i guess they charge whatever the market will stand and the europeans call us the Golden Island for a reason :|
  • MikeWW
    Thanks for the feedback

I don't think there is much in the weight and the fit should be similar
    Anybody know how the Giant wheels compare to the Mavics?

I "think" you are stuck with 23mm (as opposed to 25mm) tyres on the Giant due the brake arrangement-not a major issue but wouldn't suit a wider carbon clincher

Guess on reflection I might be erring towards the Canyon
  • Olas
    Olas Posts: 54
    Thanks for the feedback

I don't think there is much in the weight and the fit should be similar
    Anybody know how the Giant wheels compare to the Mavics?

I "think" you are stuck with 23mm (as opposed to 25mm) tyres on the Giant due the brake arrangement-not a major issue but wouldn't suit a wider carbon clincher

Guess on reflection I might be erring towards the Canyon

If this helps
    Have Conti GP4000s 25mm on my 2015 Propel Advanced Pro 0.
    Amazing bike that just wants to go faster. Prefer the wider SLR-0 carbon clinchers over Mavic Carbones (which I also have)
    There are a few mm of clearance.
  • re:fit

had a look its not that bad for the Medium size, but it is a little more extreme in Small.

Aerorad - MEDIUM - stack 551 reach 397

Propel MEDIUM - stack 55.1 reach 386

bearing in mind that the reach on the bars on the Aeroad is 10mm shorter than the reach of the bars on the Propel Advance Pro test-ride demo bike, it is a wash. What you could do is get a Propel Adv Pro Demo bike to try in out. if you decided to get an Aeroad and not the Propel you would need the same stem size as you would want to have on the Aeroad (considering the shorter reach of the Aeroad Integrated bars - assuming you are going for an integrated bars model). Just a thought.
  • BadBoyR
    BadBoyR Posts: 6
    What did you go for in the end?
  • MikeWW
    Haven't ...yet
    Ended up buying some Cero RC45's which have given my Moda a new lease of life...for a while anyway
  • BadBoyR
    BadBoyR Posts: 6
    MikeWW wrote:
    Haven't ...yet
    Ended up buying some Cero RC45's which have given my Moda a new lease of life...for a while anyway

What bike gets your money as I'm in the same position?