If you could have only one clincher tyre.......

skyblueamateur
skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
edited November 2015 in Cyclocross
Following on from the other thread, I'm a newbie to 'cross so any recommendations for a general all purpose tyre and recommended pressure levels for dry or muddy conditions would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    Challenge grifo is a popular choice for an all rounder although it struggles a bit in muddier conditions.

I like Michelin mud2 as they are cheap (approx. £25 a pop), decent in light mud whilst still being reasonably quick, and can be run at fairly low pressures. I weigh about 11.5 stone and use fat butyl inner tubes as I am a skinflint but I have still run mud2s at under 30 psi on muddy courses and about 35 psi for rooty courses. I've never pinch flatted in a race so could probably go to even lower pressures.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Used Griffos all last season before I got tubs. Just went for the cheap wire beads models as they don't disintegrate using them on tarmac.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    If I could have only one clincher tyre surely I'd need a unicycle?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    I have never really got on with the Griffo tread pattern. We just recently had this debate on our club forum (we do have rather a lot of cx racers ;)) and the toss up for the best mud clinchers was between Limus and Clement PDX. The majority was leaning towards the Clement...

Personally, I'd get the Chicanes, and a pair of FMB Supermuds, but that's two wheelsets so it's a cost consideration. A pair of mud tubs will, however, make more difference to your cx performance than anything else you might spend money on. Chicanes are a great fast and grippy intermediate, faster and grippier than Griffo for sure. But won't work in mud. At all. They do work in peanut butter, but you need to keep them on edge for braking and acceleration.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I have never really got on with the Griffo tread pattern. We just recently had this debate on our club forum (we do have rather a lot of cx racers ;)) and the toss up for the best mud clinchers was between Limus and Clement PDX. The majority was leaning towards the Clement...
    One issue I had with PDX clinchers is that they come up very wide, which can cause mud clearance issues when it gets sticky.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    I bought some PDXs this year and don't think they are any better at cutting through, or shedding mud than Michelin Mud2s. They are, however, massively wide and can be run a few psi lower, so that can help a bit if it is claggy. The PDXs have extremely flexible sidewalls and the large air pocket gives a slight feeling of suspension.

I ran Mud2s for early season courses and have recently switched the front to PDX. I think they may be slightly better than the Mud2s at the off cambers that have characterised my last two races.

I think running PDX all year would be a bit OTT though.
  • Brilliant. Some great advice. Thanks.

I've been running Continental CX King but fancy a change
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I'm also a cross newbie - though been doing ok-ish in our league now its muddy :D . My bike came with griffos (I guess the cheapo version), but I found they clogged up badly and also i didn't trust the edge grip from the little circles. I bought some pdx's for mud which I've used for the last two races. As someone else said, the casing is really supple which feels very nice and I have found they shed mud a lot better than the griffos. The edge grip is phenomenal - riding up an off-camber feels like going up a flat surface :-)

At nine-stone I've been running the front at 25psi and the rear around 27.5psi (normal tubes). I intend to swap to latex tubes at some point.

I'm tempted to get a pair of the MXP's too as the suppleness of the PDX's is so much better than the griffos and while the centre tread is the same, the edge grip looks better.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Please can people stop calling them 'griffos' - it's 'grifo'.

Anyway, Conti Cyclo X King RS gets my vote as best all-rounder.
  • Ferrals
    I'm going to call them gruffalos from now on :P
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    Haha, that's a funny one.

Challenge Grifo is clear.

But if you look at Belgian press they refer to mud tyres as rhino, and intermediates as grifo or griffo, regardless of manufacturer.

The grif(f)o tread pattern may well be older than time itself, and is used by various manufacturers including, Challenge (Grifo), Dugast (Typhoon), FMB (Gripo(!)), and Vittoria (XG).

So maybe the market is ready for a Ferrals Gruffalo.

In the meantime, looks like a rhino day to me for tomorrow.
  • Ferrals
    .. and the clement MXP.

Good luck tomorrow. I'm not racing, originally pleased to be having a break, increasingly jealous of everyone who is!
  • Challenge Limus have done me well for a season and a bit and I find them pretty good in most conditions except really sticky mud which they don't shed that well. I'm yet to try tubs but looking forward to getting muddy on my limuses (limi?) tomorrow.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Challenge Limus have done me well for a season and a bit and I find them pretty good in most conditions except really sticky mud which they don't shed that well. I'm yet to try tubs but looking forward to getting muddy on my limuses (limi?) tomorrow.
    Forgot to ask - how did you find them?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Challenge Limus have done me well for a season and a bit and I find them pretty good in most conditions except really sticky mud which they don't shed that well. I'm yet to try tubs but looking forward to getting muddy on my limuses (limi?) tomorrow.
    Forgot to ask - how did you find them?
    Had no problems with grip at all especially in the last few laps when it'd dried out a bit but then I was expecting it to be much muddier than it was.