Mudguards for specialized tricross

gaz047
gaz047 Posts: 601
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi, as per the title after some mudguards for the tricross. I'd prefer proper ones rather than the clip on ones. Forgot to say brakes are cantilever rather than calipers if that makes any difference to sets I can use Recommendations greatly appreciated
Cheers Gaz
if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
Stick your 'rules' up your a%se

Comments

• It all depends on the clearance that the canti brakes gives you. Looking at a photo of the bike in question, there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of space between the brake cables and the tyre, which will limit your choice.
    If you can fit the mudguard in the space, then the SKS Chromoplastic mudguards are fairly good - I've had them on my winter hack for years - some of the fittings have come away, but they still stay in place and do the job.
    I did try and fit the same to a Spesh Roubaix disc brake bike recently, with very different results (so much so that if you're in the Kirkby Lonsdale area, there may still be a rear mudguard poking out of a bin near Devils Bridge!). I am going to try the new SKS Raceblade longs next up, as the people at the Specialized Store in Harrogate are adamant they will fit okay, which at £45 a pair they damn well should do!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    SKS Chromoplastic worked for me on mine ... watch the forks though - mine don't have guard mounting points and I had to bodge a fitting for under the forks too - no brake mount to fit on.
  • I have a set of SKS Beavertail (XL?)s on my Singlecross, from memory I definitely have the front guard secured with a cord tie on each fork blade, cannot remember if I improvised anything similar for the rear. Worked fine, until that fatal day, almost two years ago (now needs new front wheel/stem/brake cables at least after my RTA).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,878
    I fitted full SKS ones to my gf's Tri Sport Cross - possibly 2011 vintage.

Can take some pics if you want - don't recall it being difficult, might have just needed a super long bolt at the front.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • gaz047
    Thankyou all for your replies, seems sks is the way to go. Daniel, which set was it you fitted?
    Cheers Gaz
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,878
    Twas a while ago now, but pretty sure it was the standard Chromoplastics flavour - although cant really figure out what the difference is with the bluemels offerings?

I expect you'll have the fitted in 30 minutes - only 'tricky' bit might be if you need to trim the metal arms down, but you just need a hacksaw, or a dremel I guess.

If you do get stuck whizz me a pm, and I'll go and take some pics.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • gaz047
    Thankyou Daniel much appreciated.