Helmet mounted tail lights?

skyeflyguy
skyeflyguy Posts: 110
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,
after some suggestions for a small brightish rechargeable rear light that can be mounted to a helmet.
I already have a Moon shield, which is excellent and probably could be seen from the moon!
I would like something as a back up in case the other one fails.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. It doesn't have to be a specific helmet light if anyone has found one that works well on a helmet, by using cable ties etc. The helmet I use is a Uvex race 5 if that makes any difference.

Thanks G.

Comments

• As I learned when riding MTBs in the dark it's always a good idea to have a helmet mounted front facing light as well as the bars are very often not facing where you're looking. So it'd be a good idea to get something like the Lezyne Macrodrive which is a front and rear light that clips into a very good universal joint holder that velcros through the vents in your helmet very securely. Loads of options for power levels at the front and constant or flashing at the back, easily recharged using a microUSB lead. (And mine was free with a magazine subscription :) )
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • As I learned when riding MTBs in the dark it's always a good idea to have a helmet mounted front facing light as well as the bars are very often not facing where you're looking. So it'd be a good idea to get something like the Lezyne Macrodrive which is a front and rear light that clips into a very good universal joint holder that

Please don't mount a front light on your helmet. It dazzles other road users as you move your head around... Especially as you look around at junctions... The worst time to be shining a light in others eyes.

Whilst a helmet light is a requirement for Mtb, the slow speed tight turns for which it helps don't happen as much on the road and it's less critical to see the surface. A chunky helmet light can be a risk in the event of a crash. This risk maybe worth it off-road to see the trail surface at the corner exit, but there is little benefit on the road.

A small blinky led is all you need as a rear facing helmet light. It's lightweight, unlikely to be forced through you helmet in a crash, and won't dazzle drivers as your head moves around. Cheaper too!

ebay link
  • As I learned when riding MTBs in the dark it's always a good idea to have a helmet mounted front facing light as well as the bars are very often not facing where you're looking. So it'd be a good idea to get something like the Lezyne Macrodrive which is a front and rear light that clips into a very good universal joint holder that velcros through the vents in your helmet very securely. Loads of options for power levels at the front and constant or flashing at the back, easily recharged using a microUSB lead. (And mine was free with a magazine subscription :) )
    Looks interesting, thanks for that. As a matter of interest how long do you get from a full charge using the front light on constant?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Really bad idea. The rear light needs to be fixed as does the front when road riding. You need think about other road users as much as yourself when on the road. Current road lights are so bright that they dazzle quite a bit I have to make sure mine are pointing down and to the left bit. Having lights that move about is inconsiderate. I ride alot in dark.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Not a rechargeable unit but works on two CR 2032 batteries that last ages.

http://www.chilli-tech.com/products/land/bike-helmet-light-led
  • Thanks guys for taking the time to reply.
    I will take on board the the lights moving around/dazzling other road users, I must admit it hadn't crossed my mind.
    Was looking for a way to have some back up. I suppose another light on the seatpost would be a better option?
    My front light is mounted on the bars and is fairly powerful,but again I really should think of getting a back up but wouldn't want anything else bar mounted.
    My priority was a rear light as it is not as quickly noticeable when it fails perhaps?
    Back to the drawing board......any other suggestions welcome.
    I plan to do 90minute training rides when possible in the dark during the winter.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I got the macro duo when it was on the magazine subscription deal recently too, I use it in combination with a handlebar mounted front light (saferide 80) and a rear flasher on the seatpost (cateye something or other).

Always ride with two rear lights at night - I've had too many fail in the wet to risk it otherwise. If visibility is particularly poor (fog, heavy rain) then I put an additional rear on my rucksack, bringing me up to three.

A couple of things about the macro duo then - one is I always run it at the lowest setting to minimize the risk of accidentally dazzling other road users. I also have it angled so that when I am riding along normally it is pointing upwards, away from the drivers ahead. The beam is actually quite 'spot' shaped, so it's easy to follow and avoid pointing it at other road users, conversely this means that if there is a driver on a side road who appears not to have seen me, I can tip my head towards them in such a way that the beam catches them, which is a lot harder for them to miss.

I don't use the mount supplied, but instead have secured it with a couple of silicone bands, which I view as being safer in the event of a crash - I could be wrong, but in my view the less additional 'hard stuff' attached to your helmet the better.

I'm as big a devotee of front lights that don't dazzle other users as anyone (you only have to look in other threads at me singing the praises of german shaped-beam lights) but my view is that in traffic it is far too easy for bar mounted headlights to get lost among the sea of other headlights at that sort of level - by putting an additional light at head height you are adding something out of the ordinary that is more likely to get noticed and recognised as a bicycle by other road users, as well as being something that they can see over the top of parked cars (too many side roads have parked cars by the entrance, hampering visibility for drivers coming out).

So my view, get a head mounted light if you want one, just use it with care - keep the beam on a low setting, point it away from other road users (unless you really want to get their attention!), and be aware that big heavy hard objects attached to your helmet are increasing the risk of head trauma in a crash - you just need to balance that against the hope that they are likely to prevent such a crash!
  • Agree with what has been said just above. Always have redundancy, don't strap things to your helmet that could hurt you, lights up high give visibility over obstructions, etc.

However, for me, I wouldn't put a light which is bright enough to see with on my helmet on the road. I am yet to pass a cyclist with a 'to see with' helmet mounted light that hasn't dazzled me.

I'm also not sure you need a second 'to see with light' as back up on the road. A 20 lumen that can switch from flashing to constant, though not ideal, is enough to get you home. You can mount this on your bars.
  • Thanks again guys, both interesting and different opinions. Your input will hopefully be of use to others who were thinking of mounting lights on their helmets.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    I just put one of those little Silva watch battery powered LED lights on the back of my helmet (because that's what they had in the LBS). Not rechargeable but seems to last forever, and not bright enough to dazzle by any stretch but I know from having cycled behind someone else with one that they do make you easier to spot (that's where I got the idea from). I use a normal rear light on the seatpost as well.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    My Louis Garnau helmet came with a small light that attaches via Velcro to the adjuster mechanism. It is a brilliant little thing!

I also run a "to see with" light on my helmet (a Cateye Volt 400) when doing my short commute. This is angled to the ground when in a normal cycling position, but I like the flexibility of being able to look at any object I like, including any drivers who might pull out on me, if a bar mounted light is not obvious to them.
  • I also run a "to see with" light on my helmet (a Cateye Volt 400) when doing my short commute. This is angled to the ground when in a normal cycling position, but I like the flexibility of being able to look at any object I like, including any drivers who might pull out on me, if a bar mounted light is not obvious to them.

I take your last point, but I really think a low lumen flashing light is enough to be seen by drivers who may pull out on you. To see things increasing lumens help, but to be seen, there comes a point when you're not any more noticeable, but are just dazzling people.

I also think that on the road you should be looking around a lot. Whilst you might like the 'flexbility' of shining a 50 lumen plus torch at any object, the object themselves may not! You may be very diligent in what you look at, but the cyclists I meet aren't. This is why it's a bit anti-social and potentially dangerous.

Outside of my immediate path most of the things I look at I don't want to shining a 50 plus lumen torch at... for instance the drivers behind each time I shoulder check, or when stood at a T junction scanning the traffic for a gap.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    @Skyfly

I have one of these attached to the back of my cycle helmet, not bright enough to dazzle, though enough to add illumination higher up and compliment my two other bike mounted rear lights. Not rechargeable and the loops are just about long enough to fit around/through the vents on my Giro. Looks like they have been discontinued now, though you may be able to locate old stock somewhere.
    http://www.cateye.com/intl/products/detail/SL-LD110/moreinfo/

As for using a powerful headlight mounted on your cycle helmet, leave that for when you go off road on your MTB, very inconsiderate to others when used on urban/country roads IMO.