one up radr cage

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited November 2015 in MTB buying advice
Does anyone have the Oneup components Radr cage fitted to there bike.

Is it worth the expense?

I'm converting my bike to 1x10 already have an absolute black n/w chain ring but wondering about the rear mech.

I have a long cage rear xt clutch mech m786 and I'm looking at options to convert this to a small cage mech.

Chain reaction cycles now stock Oneup stuff and I'm wondering whether it is worth the money compared with buying the smaller inner and outer GS plates from bike-discount.

Is the gear shifting much better with the radr cage with the upper wheel moved back slightly?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Isn't the Radr for Zee mech? I think you will need the standard rad cage.
    I have one and it makes a big improvement in shifting and chain retention when using an expander ring. Its a lot different to using a similar length Shimano mech cage, the top jokey wheel is offset to make it possible to set the gap between jokey wheel and cassette much closer, as it should be.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have a one up 42t expander and a long cage SLX - no issues not using a rad cage. Used to have a medium cage XT before it ate it on a root and never had any issues with it either.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Ran a RadR cage on my 10 speed XT mech before I went to 11 speed XT and it improved the shifting a lot. It felt so much better than previously and even felt better than the XTR mech on the Cotic, both were using XTR shifters. Definitely worth it imo!
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Isn't the Radr for Zee mech? I think you will need the standard rad cage.
    I have one and it makes a big improvement in shifting and chain retention when using an expander ring. Its a lot different to using a similar length Shimano mech cage, the top jokey wheel is offset to make it possible to set the gap between jokey wheel and cassette much closer, as it should be.

It is for Zee/Saint but does work on other Shimano rear derailleurs with a clutch mechanism.

I will look into this more as I wasn't going to be using a expander ring but might as well fit a 40t to benefit from this.

34t n/w and 40t expander sprocket should be enough for around where I live, no massive hills to go up.
  • Isn't the Radr for Zee mech? I think you will need the standard rad cage.

It is for Zee/Saint but does work on other Shimano rear derailleurs with a clutch mechanism.

I will look into this more as I wasn't going to be using a expander ring but might as well fit a 40t to benefit from this.

34t n/w and 40t expander sprocket should be enough for around where I live, no massive hills to go up.

Just added to my Xmas list for exactly that reason. The current SLX clutch is doing the job with a 40T expander but may be nice to have a bit of clever engineering to make it better!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris