If I send my Fox float away for repair...

y2keable
y2keable Posts: 349
edited November 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
...how long can I expect it to take?

The CTD function has a fault and the chap in the shop said it'll need to be sent to Specialized who will repair/replace it.

Why do I see myself being without a bike for a month?
<hr noshade size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><b><font color="black">Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, stay down. </font id="black"><font color="red"> Embrase pain.</font id="red"></b></font id="Book Antiqua">
<hr noshade size="1">
[:D] Paying close attention to my mental hygeine. [:D]

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why do I see myself being without a bike for a month?
    Because you are possessed of the inner eye......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No problem if you had the right number of bikes. Always N+1.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Why not call Specialized and ask them?
    They will probably have a better idea than anyone on this forum.

If it's not a warranty job then try Mojo. They'll turn it around in a couple of days if they aren't already fully booked.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • y2keable
    If it's not a warranty job then try Mojo. They'll turn it around in a couple of days if they aren't already fully booked.

I only bought the bike 4 weeks ago so aye, it's a warranty jobby
    <hr noshade size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><b><font color="black">Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, stay down. </font id="black"><font color="red"> Embrase pain.</font id="red"></b></font id="Book Antiqua">

<hr noshade size="1">
  • y2keable
    No problem if you had the right number of bikes. Always N+1.

Indeed. I still have my old bike but it's a hardtail with v-brakes and 80mm Duke's with a broken damper =(

<hr noshade size="1">
  • cooldad
    Proper man bike. It'll be fine.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • y2keable
    Proper man bike.

That's what I've always said =D

<hr noshade size="1">
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Mojo and TF Tuned both do warranty work for Fox. If it goes to them it shouldn't take more than a week.
    I would sell the fork when it comes back, they're fairly unreliable and when they are working they're crap.
  • If it's not a warranty job then try Mojo. They'll turn it around in a couple of days if they aren't already fully booked.

Have you had the bike more than 30 days because since October 1st this year the new Consumer Rights Act gives you 30 days to reject the item if it develops a fault. If you're outside the 30 days but inside 6 months then YOU get to choose whether you want the retailer to repair the item or replace it. If you bought the item before October 1st then the retailer gets to choose either repair or replace. Remember that any manufacturers warranty doesn't replace your statutory rights.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • y2keable
    I would sell the fork when it comes back, they're fairly unreliable and when they are working they're crap.

Maybe I forgot to mention that it's the rear shock.

<hr noshade size="1">
  • y2keable
    Have you had the bike more than 30 days because since October 1st this year the new Consumer Rights Act gives you 30 days to reject the item if it develops a fault. If you're outside the 30 days but inside 6 months then YOU get to choose whether you want the retailer to repair the item or replace it. If you bought the item before October 1st then the retailer gets to choose either repair or replace. Remember that any manufacturers warranty doesn't replace your statutory rights.

Yep, I've read up on all of that, thanks though. I bought the bike on Oct 6, I took it to the shop last night just before they closed and I'm happy with sending it away for repair. However, if it takes any longer than 10 days, I'll be asking for a replacement.

<hr noshade size="1">
  • Mojo and TF Tuned both do warranty work for Fox. If it goes to them it shouldn't take more than a week.

Mojo is the only UK warranty centre for Fox, if its warranty it goes through them.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369

6 months you get to choose repair, replace or refund unless the repair is more expensive than the refund.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Mojo and TF Tuned both do warranty work for Fox. If it goes to them it shouldn't take more than a week.

Mojo is the only UK warranty centre for Fox, if its warranty it goes through them.

My old Float F120 (piece of crap) went through TF Tuned when the anodising wore off at six months old.
  • Mojo and TF Tuned both do warranty work for Fox. If it goes to them it shouldn't take more than a week.

My old Float F120 (piece of crap) went through TF Tuned when the anodising wore off at six months old.

They will have either sucked up the initial cost and taken it up with Mojo or sent them to Mojo as once again Mojo is the ONLY UK warranty centre for Fox.
  • y2keable
    So, it's a week later and I see I've got an email from the bike shop. Got all excited, thinking the shock's ready to be picked up but instead they require further information from me before stating the repair.

Mojo have advised me; "we feel that specialized don't correctly valve the shock for UK riding style and would like to offer a custom valve for your body weight and riding style for free".

Huh? It's taken them a week to come up with that?!

Do we have more gravity than America, causing shocks to compress quicker? Do American's have a different riding style because they're fatter? Is an American bump different to an English one?

<hr noshade size="1">
  • cooldad
    You complain because they want to tune your shock for free?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • y2keable
    You complain because they want to tune your shock for free?

If there's a significant advantage of having this "alternative valve" fitted then great! However, I'm just not sure it's necessary, I have a friend who has exactly the same shock and a very similar bike and his works just fine and it hasn't been fitted with any custom parts.

<hr noshade size="1">
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Its not a custom part, its a custom setup, as for working 'fine' better than 'fine' is good, usually you'll notice an improvement and any improvement is worthwhile, so IMO you'd be silly not to, improved small bump sensitivity is one benefit most people will notice, US trails tend to be smoother with bigger hits, ours more 'chattery', also it can't have been valved for your weight can it?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Mojo have advised me; "we feel that specialized don't correctly valve the shock for UK riding style and would like to offer a custom valve for your body weight and riding style for free".

Huh? It's taken them a week to come up with that?!?

The bastards!
  • y2keable

<hr noshade size="1">
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Well you sound lucky, I've been in a lot worse than that....

imagine recieving a supposedly fixed fork in the same condition it was before you took it for repair and arguing the profound...
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • y2keable
    Well you sound lucky, I've been in a lot worse than that....

imagine recieving a supposedly fixed fork in the same condition it was before you took it for repair and arguing the profound...

Lets not speak too soon, who said it's definitely going to work when I get it back? =P

<hr noshade size="1">
  • rockmonkeysc

The bastards!

They want to do £80 worth of custom tuning for free????
    Report them to trading standards immediately
  • Mojo have advised me; "we feel that specialized don't correctly valve the shock for UK riding style and would like to offer a custom valve for your body weight and riding style for free".

The bastards!

They want to do £80 worth of custom tuning for free????
    Report them to trading standards immediately

But I wouldn't have a Fox CTD again.

Only offered to check my float and repair the fault, no custom tuning and it was only seven weeks old.

Hats off to I'm not sure......you or Mojo
  • rockmonkeysc
    Fox CTD is a rubbish system. Fortunately they have dropped it now.