Selling a bike in winter

rich861
rich861 Posts: 4
edited November 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I've had a 2012 Orange Five with a good spec up for sale for the last month and don't have any bites yet (it is priced to sell).

I know it's not the best time of year to sell. I'm not in desperate need for the money, do you think it would be better to just hold on to it until nearer next summer or just reduce the price now?

Any input or anyone who has been in a similar situation before could share their thoughts that would be great!

Cheers
Rich

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it was priced to sell it would sell.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • If it was priced to sell it would sell.

Thanks.
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    Hi,

I've had a 2012 Orange Five with a good spec up for sale for the last month and don't have any bites yet (it is priced to sell).

I know it's not the best time of year to sell. I'm not in desperate need for the money, do you think it would be better to just hold on to it until nearer next summer or just reduce the price now?

Any input or anyone who has been in a similar situation before could share their thoughts that would be great!

Cheers
    Rich

As above, the demand for bicycles is a little seasonal, in that there are more people looking to buy, but that doesnt fundamentally alter the value of the item, If it is priced at a level that represents good value someone will come and buy it in a snow storm. Particularly with something likes yours which would be purchased by an enthusiast rather than someone looking to do a bit of sunshine riding.

If you had no interest at all, its probably fair to say that your estimation of its value is somewhat greater than any one else's. I see ads on gumtree which make my eyes water at the asking price and I wonder if they ever find someone that stupid to part with the money
  • Hi,

Cheers
    Rich

As above, the demand for bicycles is a little seasonal, in that there are more people looking to buy, but that doesnt fundamentally alter the value of the item, If it is priced at a level that represents good value someone will come and buy it in a snow storm. Particularly with something likes yours which would be purchased by an enthusiast rather than someone looking to do a bit of sunshine riding.

If you had no interest at all, its probably fair to say that your estimation of its value is somewhat greater than any one else's. I see ads on gumtree which make my eyes water at the asking price and I wonder if they ever find someone that stupid to part with the money

That makes sense, cheers.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Maybe it's not right to appeal to many people. I have seen all sorts of weird custom build bikes recently. Enduro bikes with ultra light xc wheels and forks, xc bikes with 160mm forks and plenty of other stuff which has limited appeal. Orange Fives are often painted in colour schemes which would never appeal to any sane person.
    287402_10150263615826167_2433492_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9
    Plenty of people buy at this time of year to get a bargain, maybe something is putting people off.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Have you advertised it on here?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • loudog
    loudog Posts: 136
    come on *poke poke*

Stick a pic up and tell us how much you want for it so we can all laugh hysterically at your asking price
    It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike
  • Maybe after Christmas is the time as people have Christmas money to spend, or maybe after they get paid in January if they've already spent their last pennies on that deluxe cheese grater their other half wanted. I don't think an adult Orange Five is the sort of thing a dad buys their kid for Christmas, maybe a spouse for their partner if it's what they know specifically what they're looking for.

Just don't give it away, if you can hold out until spring then you might get more bites as people think about their next summer ride.