Wheel issues again - advice please

Apeman14
Apeman14 Posts: 30
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
I had two spokes break on my rear wheel on a ride at the weekend. On a flat smoothish country lane - no bump, no pothole causing it. So, ride over after 45 mins and a long wait to be picked up to get home. My ride is only a Felt F95, but until I get the money together to buy better, it is my baby. I had wheel issues originally and had the stock wheels replaced by Wiggle (for free) after 4 months when I had spokes break on two separate rides. The replacement wheels were Shimano wr 510 clinchers, which I was reliably informed would be better and sturdier. Well, they were for the next 6/7 months and I've done about 1500 miles on them since. I don't have glass smooth roads to ride on, but am careful to avoid bumps and potholes and kerbs etc and generally look after my bike and it's components.
So my questions are - Is it unreasonable to expect the wheels, any wheels, to last longer than 6-8 months without a spoke or three breaking? And, I know in the main, the more you pay, the better you get, but doesn't there get a point where buying expensive wheels means you are actually buying more fragile ones that are likely to break on our occasionally bumpy roads?
Am I being naive? I'm not exactly doing 100's and 100's of miles per week either.
For what I do, my bike is a good ride - I know that I can do better (and will in time), but even if my numbers come up and I get my new carbon baby, I will be keeping my Felt for winter/dirty/wet rides, so want wheels that will last better.
Can anyone in the Bikeradar community recommend some sturdier/better ones that aren't going to ruin me financially or take too much out of my new carbon bike piggy bank?
Cheers.
p.s. I've got back in touch with Wiggle too about this - they've been pretty good with anything that I've had issue with, so be interesting to see what they say....

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Obvious question I guess, how much do you weigh?
    Oh, no one I know calls their bike baby!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Simply the op needs better built wheels with more spokes probably. Low spoke wheels like the ones you have got suit lighter riders mostly but even some lighter riders can kill them quickly. Replacing the broken spoke will get you a few more miles bit more will break for sure.

You can spend all you want on a carbon bike they will come with low spoke wheels which not suit you at all. What is your weight as a rough guide 24 spokes up back for rider under 85kg if the wheel is stiff. If it's a mavic askium it almost does not matter what weight you are those wheels are not stiff. So get some wheels that suit you before you change the frame.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg