Changing Guitar Tuning Pegs

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,388
edited November 2015 in The cake stop
Hi Guys

One by one I ve broken the somewhat crappy tuning pegs off of my guitar. I now only have two left and tuning the guitar with pliers is getting irksome. As a cyclist I feel like I should be able to change these myself. It's a not so special electro-acoustic guitar (about 250 squids new) and it seems I can get a full set of tuning keys off the interweb for about 40ish.

Has anyone done it? To a cycling bodger like me it seems like it should be a simple spanner and screwdriver job

Thanks
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• ddraver
    terrible pics sorry but I assume those are Gibson ones?

22711846022_2103be60b3_z.jpg
    22537485400_6574f558b1_z.jpg

So remove the strings, undo the nut, the old ones will slide out backwards, slide the new ones in, do up the nut. Stings on. Done!
    - @ddraver
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Come on, N+1 works just as well for guitars as it does for bikes...
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Come on, N+1 works just as well for guitars as it does for bikes...

^this^

My wife's most common statement at the moment is. "Do you REALLY need a fretless bass?"
  • ddraver
    Yeah, that would truely be an all the gear, no idea purchase. I only use ot for drunk/high campfire songs and to be honest that's stretching my abilities significantly. I think with some new pegs and some new strings it could be quite a nice guitar. It just needs a bit of love
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    LGS had some out the back they could give me for a nominal fee. Will try tonight!
    - @ddraver
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Yeah, that would truely be an all the gear, no idea purchase. I only use ot for drunk/high campfire songs and to be honest that's stretching my abilities significantly.

Wow, that's the level i'm aspiring to reach at the moment :D
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    If you are still in the market for new tuners, I can recommend Wilkinson EZ-Lock which can be had in chrome for under £20 a set on ebay - I have used them to replace some (slightly) more expensive Grovers on an old Epiphone and they work just as well as the originals and really hold the tuning over time. I've never used them but a mate tried some very cheap chinese tuners, again from ebay, and they were complete carp. As others have said, it's a really simple job.

From a purely practical point of view, I believe that you can actually have too many bikes as it gets to the point where you just can't use them all enough to do them justice and, unless you are luck enough to have plenty of space, they are a real pain to store safely. On that basis, 3 is my maximum - road bikes for summer and winter plus the hybrid for pub runs with the Mrs in the summer (whose 1 bike takes up the rest of the available space in the shed). Guitars however are another story - easy to store by hanging on the wall and I get real pleasure out of all of mine - six at the last count, 3 electric and 3 acoustic.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • ddraver
    Thanks guys, I believe the ones the buy gave me are Ibanez and as you said they went on super easy. I now have a tune-able guitar with fresh new strings and a certain rock heritige so I have no excuse for sucking so much now!

IJC - you not thinking big enough, you have 3 road bikes for sure, then you have a cross bike, a gravel bike, a HT race MTB, a 120mm trail MTB, an urban fixie, a track bike etc etc etc....
    - @ddraver
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Thanks guys, I believe the ones the buy gave me are Ibanez and as you said they went on super easy. I now have a tune-able guitar with fresh new strings and a certain rock heritige so I have no excuse for sucking so much now!

IJC - you not thinking big enough, you have 3 road bikes for sure, then you have a cross bike, a gravel bike, a HT race MTB, a 120mm trail MTB, an urban fixie, a track bike etc etc etc....

Gonna need a bigger shed :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike