Volvo Life Paint - any experience

arlowood
arlowood Posts: 2,561
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Saw an article about this stuff at the weekend.

Developed by Volvo - it claims to be suitable for application to bikes and/or clothing to leave an invisible coating in daylight. However it contains reflective particles that "glow" when illuminated by car headlights

Brief video here from Volvo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfWzeGlaFvI

I usually avoid cycling when it's dark because I have the luxury of choosing. However it may be useful for those winter commuters out there and/or the serious cyclist who need to get the training miles in over winter.

From a quick search it seems to retail at ~£15 par spray can - tho' I'm not sure how much area a can would cover

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    As per other threads on this.. go and buy some 3M tape that's the same colour as your bike/helmet.
  • I am sure i read somewhere that you would only get 100ml cans so they are charging per litre £££££.
    decent set of lights and not dark clothing and you should be good to go. I wonder how quickly it washes off?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    For £15 you can buy a heck of a lot of 3M tape - and it won't wash off either.
  • I suppose it's possible that the car and truck producing giant really cares about cyclists, but I think this stuff is a pretty cynical attempt to perpetuate the myth that cyclists are difficult to see. Of course if you're a typical Volvo driver they're impossible to see because you'll be too busy texting/applying make up/ fiddling with your sat nav, CD changer or genitalia to even remember that you're in charge of a motor vehicle. just like the AA handing out free cycle helmets a year or two back this is all about putting the responsibility for road safety onto vulnerable road users and is part of an on-going effort to blame cyclists and pedestrians- if we get knocked off or killed by a vehicle it's all our fault because we weren't wearing a helmet/using lights with the candle power of Beachy head Lighthouse/ wearing bright enough clothing and now on top of all this crap (think of the weight) we have to spray ourselves from head to toe in toxic sh*te every time we so much as ride to the corner shop in a vain attempt to attract the attention of Volvo drivers on the off chance that they're actually looking where they're f****ing well going.

When I do eventually reach the point where I'm so angry over the state of the world that I spend a significant proportion of my hard earned cash on toxic chemicals you can be sure the last person I'll be spraying them over will be myself.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I suppose it's possible that the car and truck producing giant really cares about cyclists, but I think this stuff is a pretty cynical attempt to perpetuate the myth that cyclists are difficult to see. Of course if you're a typical Volvo driver they're impossible to see because you'll be too busy texting/applying make up/ fiddling with your sat nav, CD changer or genitalia to even remember that you're in charge of a motor vehicle. just like the AA handing out free cycle helmets a year or two back this is all about putting the responsibility for road safety onto vulnerable road users and is part of an on-going effort to blame cyclists and pedestrians- if we get knocked off or killed by a vehicle it's all our fault because we weren't wearing a helmet/using lights with the candle power of Beachy head Lighthouse/ wearing bright enough clothing and now on top of all this crap (think of the weight) we have to spray ourselves from head to toe in toxic sh*te every time we so much as ride to the corner shop in a vain attempt to attract the attention of Volvo drivers on the off chance that they're actually looking where they're f****ing well going.

When I do eventually reach the point where I'm so angry over the state of the world that I spend a significant proportion of my hard earned cash on toxic chemicals you can be sure the last person I'll be spraying them over will be myself.
    Yeah, but can you tell us if you approve or not? ;-)
  • I afraid I can't tell you anything that would remotely look like a rational response- I'm incoherent with rage
  • I got a free can from a local dealership. Sprayed it on my bag and it did light up when I took a flash photo but was nearly blinded by the dazzle from the 3M tape