Campy Zonda or Novatec Jetfly

blimzw
blimzw Posts: 17
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi, tossing up between Campy's Zonda and the Novatec Jetfly as I want to upgrade from my stock DT Swiss r1800. Novatec offers much better value for the rim height and weight. Are they reputable / quality ? And are the jetfly's worth the upgrade?

Comments

• exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 266
    Zondas for me every time. Love mine.
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • blimzw
    Novatecs are a good 100+ grams lighter with higher rims for A$100 more! That's why I am stuck :(
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Novatecs are a good 100+ grams lighter with higher rims for A$100 more! That's why I am stuck :(

You may well find that 100g is within manufacturing tolerances so I wouldn't be too distracted by such a small amount. Basically, both sets of wheels are ~1500g for the set so relatively good and should feel nimble climbing (although this will, in all probability, not be reflected by Strava as it doesn't track "nimble").

The other thing to bear in mind is that 32mm does not make a wheel noticeably faster over something "shallow" like 24mm, IMHO, certainly at avg speeds the wrong side of 20mph. In fact I found 30ish rims offered no tangible benefits just extra weight and the greater possibility of sidewind problems.

Might be worth doing some digging on the Novatec hubs to see what folks think about their serviceability and durability, depending on the riding you do. There are plenty of other options, btw, like Fulcrum 5LG or 3's, etc.

The search function works well and will give you plenty of food for thought.
  • I have Zondas on my Roubaix.They are much better than the wheels which came with the bike,however as per the reviews they are very stiff.

Next time I intend to try the Novatecs in the hope that they will be a little more compliant.
  • blimzw
    Thanks for your advice Bobbinogs.
  • No experience with the Campy wheels so I can't compare, but I had a pair of Novatec Jetfly wheels which I used in races and training for about 6 months. While they're light, I feel like this is at the expense of stiffness - they didn't really inspire confidence as there was noticable flex in the front wheel when climbing out of the saddle (to the point the rim would rub on the brake pad). I should add that I'm 85kg so a lighter rider might not experience this. I also managed to snap a couple of spokes on the rear in separate incidents, neither situation being due to a pothole/crash or anything like that. Never had any trouble with the hubs and they are super loud, if that's a selling point! They're on my girlfriend's bike now and she's had no trouble so far (to be fair, she weighs 30kg less than me), but I wouldn't use them again myself.