Boardman team 650b upgrades

Jakeyhutch
Jakeyhutch Posts: 12
edited November 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi guys and girls im newish to mountain biking and I picked a boardman team ht 650b up at the weekend and got it at a bit of a bargain price from halfords due to some errors on their part so I'm left with a bit of spare cash to tweek the bike, now what I'm wanting really is a bit of advice on bits I could upgrade like I say I'm new to this so don't really know where to start, I'm thinking of things like the seat, peddles and maybe handle bars the forks are rock shox 120mm R30 Gold TK Air which im under the impression aren't too bad? After looking at some of the hardcore hard tails on here I'd love some 130mm-150mm but I'm not sure I could get some to fit? Sorry for being a nube but I am lol, just wanting to tinker and gradually upgrade bits, thanks guys

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Saddle and pedals are personal so whatever is comfortable for you.

Otherwise ride and see what needs changing, if anything.

150mm forks aren't a good idea on that bike though
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Saddle and pedals are personal so whatever is comfortable for you.

Otherwise ride and see what needs changing, if anything.

150mm forks aren't a good idea on that bike though

Thank you pal like I said I've got no idea lol thank you for educating me though I'll Google what seats and pedals are out there. Thanks again
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    I actually have the previous gen of this bike..

Firstly, ride it and see what you think. Everything is personal so anything we say is simply just advice. You don't have to take it.

I would upgrade the brakes to shimano ones - the M615's are a decent price and apparently are excellent. They are on my upgrade list.

I would also consider upgrading the forks to Reba's - make sure you get the ones with the better damper (RLT I think) - they are much more adjustable than the Gold 30's you have at the minute and will perform better.

Other than that, consider a lighter wheelset - although you would have to spend a decent amount to improve on the one that comes on the bike in the first place.

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • Botty
    Botty Posts: 8
    Greetz,

One noob to another ,...I have the same bike, and been riding it for about 5 months, get out and ride, get a feel for the bike. When purchasing a new set of pedals(I got some nukeproofs) please do your shins a favour and also factor in the price of a pair of Five Ten flat trainers.
    As the weather is getting greasy you could also consider changing the Racing Ralph tires, even just the front for more grip. Another thing to consider is the FSA comet chainset, I damaged some teeth on the outer cog rendering it useless....its cheap enough to replace at £25, but consider switching to a shimano deore/slx chainset which can have a bashguard fitted(you can't fit a bashguard to the 3bolt FSA comet).

I think it's a bit too soon to be talking about forks, wheels and brakes upgrades. I mean, I have nothing to compare the performance of the components as this is my first bike...but i have no complaints. But then again, depends how much cash you've got to throw about.

Have fun riding..
  • Greetz,

One noob to another ,...I have the same bike, and been riding it for about 5 months, get out and ride, get a feel for the bike. When purchasing a new set of pedals(I got some nukeproofs) please do your shins a favour and also factor in the price of a pair of Five Ten flat trainers.
    As the weather is getting greasy you could also consider changing the Racing Ralph tires, even just the front for more grip. Another thing to consider is the FSA comet chainset, I damaged some teeth on the outer cog rendering it useless....its cheap enough to replace at £25, but consider switching to a shimano deore/slx chainset which can have a bashguard fitted(you can't fit a bashguard to the 3bolt FSA comet).

I think it's a bit too soon to be talking about forks, wheels and brakes upgrades. I mean, I have nothing to compare the performance of the components as this is my first bike...but i have no complaints. But then again, depends how much cash you've got to throw about.

Have fun riding..

Aup buddy,

Thank you for your advice, I'll look at what you've said and yeah I wasn't meaning that I'm planning on changing the forks etc anytime soon just wanted to see what was available should I want to do it in a few months time, I personally probably couldn't tell the difference between top of the range forks and wheels to poverty spec ones as I'm not good enough to even rigorously test the bike yet anyway, thanks again for your advice if you don't mind could you point me in the direction of the nukeproof pedals you got.
  • Botty
    Botty Posts: 8
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/nukeproof-electron-evo-pedals/rp-prod122950

These have stood up to some hefty rock strikes and just bounce off them,....the pins are lethal sharp, so I'll say again get a pair of Five Ten's. No point in getting a nice set of grippy pedals, if your going to cycle in clogs. Get Five Ten's, or get sore shins..