Longer reach stem?

World\'s Dump
World\'s Dump Posts: 107
edited November 2015 in MTB beginners
I recently wanted to swap what i thought was a shorter stem for a better angled one (The red one).

However looks like i need longer forks... I'm not sure...

However now I've swapped it over I might leave it as it is or if anyone can recommend something so i don't have to lean over too much more. The saddle is reasonably high and i can't get it much higher.

The other issue i have is and I've been completely ignorant to this is getting the right torque when i tighten the bolts up. Can anyone recommend what torque I need? Do I need a specific torque wrench?

Many thanks

Comments

• brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    I don't really under stand the question ? what is the problem your experiancing

Nb a longer fork wont more the handle bars any nearer. The top tube remains the same length
  • Well the bars just feel too low - do I need a better angle?

Thanks
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So you want to raise the bars. Then you need either a shorter stem or a higher rise stem.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    So you want to raise the bars. Then you need either a shorter stem or a higher rise stem.

Or higher rise bars
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Already look like a pretty big rise in those bars.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • brianbee
    Is the bike far to small for you. ? I cant understand why your seat height is close to max, if the frame is in the normal range for your body
  • y2keable
    y2keable Posts: 349
    Those handle bars look extremely narrow =/
    <hr noshade size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><b><font color="black">Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, stay down. </font id="black"><font color="red"> Embrase pain.</font id="red"></b></font id="Book Antiqua">

<hr noshade size="1">
    [:D] Paying close attention to my mental hygeine. [:D]
  • Steerer tube extender? £15 from Wiggle...
    bbb-bhp-22-med.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not if you like your face!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • brianbee
    Not if you like your face!

I was considering one of these. Have you got experience of them failing or do you just not like the idea ?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    He was just born ugly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They are nastily unstable compared to a proper length steerer.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.