Cleats too loose

bluemoon17
bluemoon17 Posts: 718
edited November 2015 in Road general
Just bought myself some new shoes and new cleats (Shimano SPD-SL). Attached the cleat and have been out for a ride today but the cleat feels far too loose in the pedal. Put my old shoes on when I got back and went for a quick spin and it was fine, just the normal float movement. Have had both shoes on the bike and had a closer look and it's almost as if the new cleats are smaller? There is a lot more movement, both side to side and vertically. The cleats are identical, and I've tried tightening the pedal tension up but that makes no difference.

Any ideas?

Comments

• BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    What make cleats are the original ones?

What make cleats are the new ones?

Are the two cleats the same colour?
  • What make cleats are the original ones?

What make cleats are the new ones?

Are the two cleats the same colour?

Shimano SPD-SL, both yellow. They even have the same code written on the bottom of both of them! SM SH-11.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Where did you get the original cleats?

Where did you get the new ones?

Are the two cleats both genuine Shimano?
  • Where did you get the original cleats?

Where did you get the new ones?

Are the two cleats both genuine Shimano?

Bought both sets from Wiggle. I'm genuinely stumped. Will post up some pictures when I get home from work later, it's driving me mad trying to figure out what's wrong
  • It sounds to me like you got either a bad batch that came up the wrong size, or somehow, Wiggle has been non-genuine branded Shimano cleats. Normally the fakes come up smaller.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Normally the fakes come up smaller.

Fake cleats are a thing?!
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    There are copy's which can be found on ebay/aliexpress. They are not branded as Shimano. They are branded Tiebao. I've used them and never found them to feel smaller.
  • Also worth a thought- how old are the pedals?
    The pedals can also physically wear out too- most visibly on the front of the pedal where the front of the cleat hooks under.

I had a bike fit recently with pedals I've had for around 20 000miles (with lots of pedal body cover replacements) and it turned out they were so worn they allowed play in all angles (including pitch and roll) even when used with new cleats.

The note about fake shimano cleats is also a good shout- I've had at least one pair now, and although they were fine on the bike the rubber bumpers to walk on were poor (the rear ones missing) and fell off quickly leaving quite a slippy surface to walk on so got binned well before the pedal contact points of the cleat wore out.
  • Ok then, here are some pictures and a video.

Old cleat:
    2015_11_01_18_38_02.jpg
    New cleat:
    2015_11_01_18_38_28.jpg
    Comparison:
    2015_11_01_18_39_00.jpg

upload img

And finally, a video: http://sendvid.com/bmuajfph

Any ideas anybody?
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Have you tried swapping the cleats over from one pair of shoes to the other? To rule out the sole of the shoe being the issue
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • There are copy's which can be found on ebay/aliexpress. They are not branded as Shimano. They are branded Tiebao. I've used them and never found them to feel smaller.

Maybe it was just mine then. I ordered 2 sets from eBay to use with a few pairs of shoes I had, and both of them had noticeable play in the compared with the Shimano branded ones. Still worth the £5 savings though.
  • Have you tried swapping the cleats over from one pair of shoes to the other? To rule out the sole of the shoe being the issue

Ok, tried this. No issues with the old cleats on the new shoes, but still a lot of play in the new cleats on the old shoes. Also took the cleats themselves off the shoes and just clipped them into the pedals on their own. The new ones just don't seem to lock in solidly for some reason.

Measured them and they are both identical, they even weigh the same at 19g. Am I being stupid and doing something wrong or is it time to email Wiggle?!
  • Anonymous
    Can you measure the float in any way?
    What float do you feel the new ones have if not 6 degrees?

Is it possible that the old ones somehow have less than 6 degrees, and this makes the new ones feel lose by comparison?
  • Can you measure the float in any way?
    What float do you feel the new ones have if not 6 degrees?

Is it possible that the old ones somehow have less than 6 degrees, and this makes the new ones feel lose by comparison?

Not sure how I'd measure it! To be honest, it doesn't feel like float at all. There is quite a lot of vertical movement as well as horizontal movement, which isn't very clear in the video. Just doesn't feel secure, even with the pedal tension turned all the way up.
  • Anonymous
    They look a bit slimmer along the bottom edge don't they (unless its just where they have been bashed about)?
    The 45 degree chamfered angle seems to be nearer the bottom of the yellow stubby bit on the old ones.

They must be different dimensions in some way?
    Can you contact Shimano?
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    New cleats always feel loser in my experience.
  • Right, having spent a considerable number of hours swapping cleats to and from old shoes to new, I think I might have figured this out. I think that the curvature of the sole on the new Mavics is causing the cleat to bend out of shape slightly, meaning it's unable to engage fully with the pedal. Going to try putting a washer under the forward most screw to level it out a little bit, hopefully it will do the trick.

If not, one brand new pair of Mavic Cosmic Ultimate shoes is going in the classifieds!
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    you could try something like this?
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/bikefit-cleat-wedges-sold-in-pairs-3-hole-yellow-id69312.html

might even the sole up a bit?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes