internal cable rattling/vibration

gubber12345
gubber12345 Posts: 493
edited November 2015 in Road general
Got an annoying rattle/vibration coming from the internal cables on my merida scultura.cant think of any way to fix this but i read somewhere to pump a bit of expanding foam into the tubes which will stop it.only thing i can see with this is if i ever need to vhange cables the what kind of a problem getting them back in

so good idea or bad or any other fixes i could think about doing?
tia
Lapierre Aircode 300
Merida

Comments

• bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    There seems to be a number of different solutions to this one. I've used a squirt of expanding foam before and not had issues (just a quick puff seems to do it). Some suggest using the cable rubber noodle sleeve thing (the sort that clips over the cable to stop frame rub, but to be honest I can't see that working well in a large diameter down tube). Another option is to feed in a bit of pipe lagging (foam tube) via the bottom bracket hole. If the cable is rattling in the top tube you may get in via seat tube or take the forks out for access. As long as you leave the end within grabbing distance you should be able to remove it easily in the future for cable changes.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • There seems to be a number of different solutions to this one. I've used a squirt of expanding foam before and not had issues (just a quick puff seems to do it). Some suggest using the cable rubber noodle sleeve thing (the sort that clips over the cable to stop frame rub, but to be honest I can't see that working well in a large diameter down tube). Another option is to feed in a bit of pipe lagging (foam tube) via the bottom bracket hole. If the cable is rattling in the top tube you may get in via seat tube or take the forks out for access. As long as you leave the end within grabbing distance you should be able to remove it easily in the future for cable changes.

You could also tie a bit of string to the end of the pipe lagging and fashion some place to hang it so you don't lose the bits in the tube.