Best winter tyre please.

Dandelionclock30
Dandelionclock30 Posts: 306
edited November 2015 in Road general
Good afternoon, I'm getting a lot of punctures whilst using the continential gatorskin folding tyres. Its the back wheel that keeps getting them. I've done all the checking the tyre throughly, rim tape, rims etc and I conclude that its the tyre thats rubbish.
Do people think the the 4 seasons are much better than the Gatorskins? or can anyone suggest another decent option that can be taken on and off o.k ish if the worst does happen. I just ride round generally and need a robust tyre for the winter.
I wont be buying another pair of Gatorskins thats for sure. Thanks.

Comments

• feisty
    feisty Posts: 161
    Gatorskin hardshell (rather than normal gatorskin) and 4 seasons are both very good tyres.
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    Good afternoon, I'm getting a lot of punctures whilst using the continential gatorskin folding tyres. Its the back wheel that keeps getting them. I've done all the checking the tyre throughly, rim tape, rims etc and I conclude that its the tyre thats rubbish.
    Do people think the the 4 seasons are much better than the Gatorskins? or can anyone suggest another decent option that can be taken on and off o.k ish if the worst does happen. I just ride round generally and need a robust tyre for the winter.
    I wont be buying another pair of Gatorskins thats for sure. Thanks.

Schwalbe Duranos. Much better grip than a Gatorskin and just as tough. They roll very well too and I don't find them a problem to take on and off my wheel rims
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Seriously, this same question is posted at least once a week once past September and the same recommendations are given, time and again. Doing a search would have taken much less time than it took to type the original post.

Rant over.
  • SLR021
    SLR021 Posts: 79
    These are well worth a look : http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Continental-Grand-Prix-ProTection-Black-Chili-Folding-Road-Tyre_60591.htm

The similar tyre without the GT suffix doesn't offer as much puncture protection.
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    Scwalbe marathons - virtually puncture proof weigh a ton but last forever. Used all last winter without a single puncture.
  • Gp4seasons /endthread
  • jamie77
    jamie77 Posts: 102
    Seriously, this same question is posted at least once a week once
    Rant over.

Least it keeps the forum active.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    4 seasons worked well for me. Only got puncture from metal going through the side wall and running over a thorny branch.
  • Ice Spikers
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    mich pro4 endurance v2, 4seasons are rubbish.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I have found that 4Seasons and Durano's no different in terms of puncture protection (the 4Seasons perhaps slightly better), but I feel the 4Seasons seem to roll faster and feel better... no idea if this is just my perception as I obviously havent done any sort of controlled trials! So I ditched the Durano's and now just use 4Seasons.

I suspect you will get an equal number of people recommending all the different main tyres. Just buy one of the above - whichever is cheapest on the given day you buy them.
  • pblakeney
    I have found that 4Seasons and Durano's no different in terms of puncture protection (the 4Seasons perhaps slightly better), but I feel the 4Seasons seem to roll faster and feel better... no idea if this is just my perception as I obviously havent done any sort of controlled trials! So I ditched the Durano's and now just use 4Seasons.

I suspect you will get an equal number of people recommending all the different main tyres. Just buy one of the above - whichever is cheapest on the given day you buy them.
    There is more to this debate than simply protection.
    The amount of time I have went round shaded corners and met frost. Then heard the clashing of materials and tarmac, and the yelps, whilst I roll on.
    4 Seasons give you grip that others don't.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • If It's not fast riding then I would suggest a Specialized all condition armadillo or a Durano plus. Slightly faster riding or you want something a touch lighter then maybe a normal Durano.

Fast group rides and something lighter like a Durano S would be the best compromise between weight and puncture protection. This is what I'm currently using - so far got over 1000 miles trouble free on them from half of last winter, wet days during the year and now a few weeks into this years winter.

Probably best keeping an eye on the rear tyre as they wear much faster than a front and lose a good part of the puncture protection, I'd swap the front and rear tyres over when you think it looks worn.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032

The amount of time I have went round shaded corners and met frost. Then heard the clashing of materials and tarmac, and the yelps, whilst I roll on.

Maybe they do, i found 4 seasons to have super fast wear and they ripped to pieces but i am not an ice cornering God, so i suspect you could corner on a tire made of rice crispys and still stay upright 8)
  • pblakeney

Maybe they do, i found 4 seasons to have super fast wear and they ripped to pieces but i am not an ice cornering God, so i suspect you could corner on a tire made of rice crispys and still stay upright 8)
    Nice thought, but I doubt it.
    Think of them as you would car winter tyres. It is more about the compound than the tread pattern.
    I think they are soft for grip in cold conditions. The downside is wear rate. Choose what is important.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Schwalbe Duranos. Much better grip than a Gatorskin and just as tough. They roll very well too and I don't find them a problem to take on and off my wheel rims

They actually roll poorly.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews

One of the worst tested. Though better than the Gatorskin.