Zondas or Prolite Braccianos as winter wheels?

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited October 2015 in Road general
Having to retire my trusty Mavic Ksyrium Equippes from my winter bike due to worn rims. I have a pair of Pro Lite Bracciannos and a pair of Campag Zondas I can use instead. Are either of these better suited to winter duties?
I think the weights are broadly similar so it probably comes down to spares availability and serviceability I think.

cheers
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    I had both too - I found that the braccianos wore very quickly - rims and the rear hub went a bit notchy after one winter's use. Personally, I'd get something a bit more robust for winter as both come up fairly light, although having said that the zondas I had were perfectly true after hitting a cat at 45mph (I on the other hand wasn't!)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    For me, a winter wheel would be relatively cheap or handbuilt so that the rims could be replaced. I would also be looking for cup and cone bearings for maintenance with a half decent seal. Finally, I expect a winter wheel to take the odd knock without moaning as dull evening rides often mean the odd pothole, etc., even with decent lights.

Now, cheap is a relative term (in my book, cheap means £100-£150) but I do know the Zondas have decent bearings that are easy to service and the wheels can take a bump or two. Rim wear is reasonable, or at least it has been to date.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Thanks both, Zondas on the winter bike it is then. The Braciannos will go on the carbon bike after it's carbon hoops get taken off tomorrow, ready for the more "iffy" weather. Might keep an eye out for some cheaper Scirrocco CXs in the meantime.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...