The World of Cycling According to G

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    I'm quite enjoying it. A touch laddish, but has a decent turn of phrase every now and then. Whoever said it read like a collated blog was right though, lots of easy to digest snippets rather than any long story.

I think saying he isn't hungry enough is a little harsh, he's got a decent palmares and spent the early part of his career focussed on the track (2 Olympic golds says he was at least a bit peckish).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • if G wants to see Monaco ostentation & uber-bling, he only has to pop down the local shop for a litre of over-priced lait as he has his own Monaco pad :wink:
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    if G wants to see Monaco ostentation & uber-bling, he only has to pop down the local shop for a litre of over-priced lait as he has his own Monaco pad :wink:

I didn't know that.

Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised: having an apartment in Monaco as a pro cyclist is probably the equivalent of having a naff/bling 4x4, wearing overly-stressed designer jeans (low slung) and mirror lensed aviator shades if you're a footballer. The main difference being, despite the total costs being about the same, that for the cyclist it's seen as an investment; for the footballer, it's what they spent their pocket money on.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    if G wants to see Monaco ostentation & uber-bling, he only has to pop down the local shop for a litre of over-priced lait as he has his own Monaco pad :wink:

I didn't know that.

Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised: having an apartment in Monaco as a pro cyclist is probably the equivalent of having a naff/bling 4x4, wearing overly-stressed designer jeans (low slung) and mirror lensed aviator shades if you're a footballer. The main difference being, despite the total costs being about the same, that for the cyclist it's seen as an investment; for the footballer, it's what they spent their pocket money on.
    Pro cyclists only spend about one day in three at home, so they may as well live somewhere with no income tax (especially when some of the countries where you compete take tax off you).

Also David Coulthard once pointed out that part of the attraction of living in Monaco is that the security is really, really good. And that's important because if you're a top sportsman, criminals know when you are away and target your house for burglary. (He'd been hit himself when he lived in England)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642

I didn't know that.

Pro cyclists only spend about one day in three at home, so they may as well live somewhere with no income tax (especially when some of the countries where you compete take tax off you).

Also David Coulthard once pointed out that part of the attraction of living in Monaco is that the security is really, really good. And that's important because if you're a top sportsman, criminals know when you are away and target your house for burglary. (He'd been hit himself when he lived in England)

Also, the weather is largely decent and the cycling terrain good...
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    He was lovely on the podcast... but just a tad boring maybe? Though that maybe just be because he's on a book tour...

Oof..bit harsh. I thought there were a couple of times he attempted to spice things up with a dry comment (that Moore and Birnie both nearly missed, it seemed) about if he was feeling good or saw Froome was in trouble he'd "put the boys on the front" and attack him…

He's not only got a good sense of humour he seems to be pretty consistant with it. I was at one of his book signings at he seemed to be having an ad lib relevant joke with pretty much every person. My daughter handed over 'our' book to sign and he made sure he put the reciept back inside and told her to keep it in case she wanted to get her money back.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Realy enjoying this so far, struggle to put the book down at the end of my lunch break! Which is a huge surprise as im not normally a 'reader'

Can anybody else recommned some good reads?

Cheers J
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,658
    You're a big fan of Froome and Geraint aren't you Rich?

Fanboi even :wink:
  • RichN95.

I like all cyclists. I didn't grow up with social media so I don't feel the need to be defined by what I hate.

But with Thomas, of course. He's from the city I live in. I know people who know him, went to school with him. I know the area he comes from, the school he went to, the track he first rode on. I see people riding around in the jerseys of his old club. A friend of mine went to his wedding. An ex-chairman of my hockey club is one of his personal sponsors. Why would I follow this sport and not be a fan?
  • I might have to write to Santa and see if I can have this for Xmas. Geraint is a nice guy with plenty of time for followers of the sport. He gave us his autograph before the TdF TT Prologue in Rotterdam a few years back and had a friendly chat with us hangers about. He was interested in us (we'd cycled there from Calais - long story :roll: ) and you really wouldn't think he was about to start the TdF. Cool bloke.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

I like all cyclists. I didn't grow up with social media so I don't feel the need to be defined by what I hate.

But with Thomas, of course. He's from the city I live in. I know people who know him, went to school with him. I know the area he comes from, the school he went to, the track he first rode on. I see people riding around in the jerseys of his old club. A friend of mine went to his wedding. An ex-chairman of my hockey club is one of his personal sponsors. Why would I follow this sport and not be a fan?

He might have spilt your pint once. That would put me off a rider.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Not read the G book but I give the Holy David book a big fat AVOID.

Dreadfully average.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    He might have spilt your pint once. That would put me off a rider.
    I treat a pint of beer as though it was filled with nitroglycerin - no weedy cyclist is spilling it.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Realy enjoying this so far, struggle to put the book down at the end of my lunch break! Which is a huge surprise as im not normally a 'reader'

Can anybody else recommned some good reads?

Cheers J
    I'm really enjoying Roule Britannia at the moment, particularly all the pre-Robert Millar stuff about which I knew almost nothing.
  • RichN95.

Dreadfully average.
    I bought Millar's ahead of Thomas's. A quarter of the way in and I think I agree. I'll probably nip into Waterstones tomorrow and see if Thomas did a few extra signed copies.
  • carbonclem

Dreadfully average.
    I bought Millar's ahead of Thomas's. A quarter of the way in and I think I agree. I'll probably nip into Waterstones tomorrow and see if Thomas did a few extra signed copies.

In Cardiff? They didnt have enough to sell to those that turned up on the day! They may have had some sent in subsequently but they were certainly sold out on the day.
  • carbonclem

Dreadfully average.

In Cardiff? They didnt have enough to sell to those that turned up on the day! They may have had some sent in subsequently but they were certainly sold out on the day.

Geraint just tweeted a picture of all the books hes been and signed in Smiths and Waterstones in Cardiff! So, back in stock :wink:
  • Not read the G book but I give the Holy David book a big fat AVOID.

Dreadfully average.

I just listened to the CN podcast with Millar. Why do they use a guy who sounds like he has a bag of marbles in his mouth to do lengthy interviews?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bit of insight here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/35051577

Couple of amusing comments. Comes across quite witty
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    The book is pretty good but a bit disjointed (G's one).
    Read the millar book, and it comes across as Millar being his usual sycophantic self... read once and send to landfill.
  • I liked the Millar book. Maybe in a minority of 1!
    About to start G's book
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    I like both of Millar's books, his commentary too. He seems to have a bit of a habit of trying to explain absolutely everything as fast as he can though, early days yet but I hope that he does a bit more. It's nice to hear commentary from someone who has ridden the big races so recently
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    I really enjoyed Millar's first book, haven't read his second yet. And thought G's book was really good, some generally laugh out loud moments. I really like the bloke anyway but think he'd be excellent company down the pub for a few scoops.
  • I really enjoyed Millar's first book, haven't read his second yet. And thought G's book was really good, some generally laugh out loud moments. I really like the bloke anyway but think he'd be excellent company down the pub for a few scoops.

A mate of mine used to work for BC and tells me that, after a drink, Geraint Thomas will try to walk home regardless of where he is in the world or where home is.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    I know a few people like that. It becomes a problem with anyone who is fairly fit and confident that they know the way, even when they don't.. fairly common in cyclists if my riding mates are anything to go by
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    walking is better than trying to drive...
  • Millar is a good writer, regardless of ego. Bloody good presenter too.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    ^Since we are straying off G, I was given your (The Loyal Lieutenant) biog at xmas. Didn't like it at first, but ended up changing my opinion. I thought he was pretty convincing about his actions and motives. I hadn't heard the Champs-Horner story before.
    The list of 'generals' he has worked with is astounding.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    So I'm listening to this on my commute, it's very enjoyable but the Welsh chap they have reading it could have done a bit of research on place/race names - so far I have had "mount tidy" and the "criterium du dolphin" plus a few others... you'd think a bit of basic pronunciation practice would be the first thing they'd do.

Also read the Climb on a recent work trip (only thing I could find to read in the airport) and it wasn't bad either. Very easy read.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    Have you looked at the actual book? It may be that's how G refers to them and he is just reading it as written?