upside down and breaks

kayvan
kayvan Posts: 39
edited October 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
hi every body.to cut it short i say whenever i put my bike upside down like for changing the tyer or lubing thechain for few minutes and then put it back again my slx breaks feel spongy for a few pulls but then both work perfectly and firm .is this common ?i have no problem when riding.just wondering any suggestion or idea?
thank you all in advance.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Breaks or brakes, my breaks don't feel spongey just painful!

It sounds like you have a little air trapped in the system and it's migrating into the cylinder when it's upside down, either live with it as you know it will happen, or bleed the brakes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    I would say yes as mine do it every now and again, sometimes they don't seem to want to come back and then I have to burp them, depending if you have older ones where you have to take the res cap off, or newer ones with the bleed port, old ones take the top off and rubber, new ones remove the bleed port screw on top and gentle work the brake lever with it level so fluid doesn't spill, and work any bubbles out and you will feel the lever come back to normal, hope that makes sense or just do a search mtb brake burping :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Very common, a few flicks of the lever and it's sorted.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • squeeze your levers and put a tight rubber band or better still a velcro strap around them before turning upside down.
  • kayvan
    kayvan Posts: 39
    sorry for misspelling and thank you for sharing your experience.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    It's common if they've not been bled correctly!

Three bikes no issues with brakes despite storing them upside down.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    squeeze your levers and put a tight rubber band or better still a velcro strap around them before turning upside down.

Not if you want to remove a wheel though! That would just be silly.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Very much this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools