Colnago Titanio Frame

Shishykish
Shishykish Posts: 15
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello,
Came across a colnago frame that looks the business. What pros and cons would there be in this case?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=291598781964&alt=web

Comments

• Pros:
    - is a Colnago
    - is cheaper than a new Colnago
    - Colnago don't make Ti bikes any longer so a bit of history there
    - Chris King headset
    - Ti fork is very unusual

Cons:
    - boring brushed finish
    - 600 quid for a 20 year old frameset
    - probably heavier than modern Ti
    - cannot test before buying
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Looks good but I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. The long and short of it is that it's a 20 year old titanium frame. May be worth a punt at half the starting price.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    1" headset and steerer so if you want to swap the fork you will struggle. There are 1" headsets available (C.King). Frame may be ok but it's still metal with any fatigue issues that may develop. Nice bike to have but I'd be wanting a C40/C50.
    M.Rushton
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    Not worth it at even half the price. There are better Ti frames.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Not worth it at even half the price. There are better Ti frames.

Ever ridden one? Probably not....

I still ride my titanium Colnago because it's still such a smooth and sorted bike, I have more recent carbon-framed bikes that aren't as nice to ride as they tend to get upset more by rough road surfaces when putting the power-down which isn't much use when racing on local roads.

The fact that this has sold for £600 shows that the price is OK too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    There are a couple for sale here in France at the moment for around 700 euros or offers, so a little bit cheaper, but they're both have nice airbrushed paint, which lets face it is a big reason why you buy a Colnago.
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    Friend had one some years ago. It cracked after just over 2 years use and Colnago refused to honour any warranty so I ride my Merlin CR Works which is 9 years old and as perfect as the day it came out of the factory. I have not ridden a Ti Colnago nor would I exchange my Merlin for one. Personal choice.