High Vis Jacket like the Alpha??

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Wondering if anyone has seen a jacket which is as warm as the Castelli Alpha, but has reflective detail on the back?

I don't really want to wear an additional reflective belt/strap with my Alpha as i find them too uncomfortable, but need something warm like the Alpha for night rides in the winter.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You could just buy the alpha and buy some hi vis tape to stick on it. You only need a few strips and it peels off easy enough before washing.

Its an option if not a permanent one
  • redvision
    You could just buy the alpha and buy some hi vis tape to stick on it. You only need a few strips and it peels off easy enough before washing.

Its an option if not a permanent one

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried some supposed 'cycling' high vis tape on another jacket last night but found that by the time i was home the tape had peeled off and had also caused a bit of bobbling where it had been positioned :cry: so don't really want to risk damaging the Alpha by using tape.

Wish Castelli had put some reflective trim or strips on the Alpha :x
  • More/better lights? I'd have a look at the new fibre flare that attaches on the back of your helmet.

If a car is close enough to cast you in it's headlights in order to make reflectives work then it should have seen you if you have good lights.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • redvision
    I am usually lit up like a xmas tree - always have two rear lights (Exposure Tracer & Flare) plus a cheapo rear helmet light.

I have done loads of night riding and commuting but wearing a black jacket without any reflective detail does feel vulnerable - even with rear lights.

:(
  • But high vis only adds reflectivity. Just stick some tape on there. Or, sadly, a x belt or something. Remember that black is irrelevant after dark. It's all about the lights and reflectives.
  • redvision
    Remember that black is irrelevant after dark. It's all about the lights and reflectives.

Good point, never thought of it that way tbh.

I think perhaps i will try and find a more comfortable belt or even bands for the arms.

Wonder why these high end jackets don't come with some reflective detail. The Gabba has a reflective strip, why didn't they put it on the Alpha?!! Doh!
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Rapha Pro Winter Jacket does have a small amount of reflectiveness. The band on the arm and the lines running up the back. But this is a small amount.
    I also wear the high vis bands on the arm, these are good. There is also the Volvo reflective spray that has recently come out. I've not seen it yet but might be worth a look?

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/about/our-innovations/lifepaint

There are options with layering as well, bontrager RXL Thermal Long Sleeve Jersey along with the Specter Windshell vest. Not quite what you asked about but might be an option?
    Also there is the Bontrager Velocis Stormshell Jacket available in their orange colour, firebrand they call it.

I'll be getting the Volvo paint this weekend. I'm of the opinion that you can't be lit up enough for night time rides. I'm just wondering what sweat / rain will do to the paint, ie, on a 4 hour ride will it have been washed out? The adverts say it washes off, so will have to see how it performs.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,550
    edited October 2015
    the alpha is available in this rather eye-searing colour...

451450215a-015-01-1400Wx1400H?context=bWFzdGVyfHJvb3R8MTIyODYxfGltYWdlL2pwZWd8aDRjL2g3Ny84ODQ2NjI2NjE5NDIyLmpwZ3xlN2M1MjBjOWJlMmUwM2VmODlmZjVmMDFhOTBmNTZhOGI2NWMyYjI3NWFmMmUzYjc4ZjNhZjk3YmViMDg2ODZh

...not full on dayglo but it'll be bright when lit

from the rear the colour extends down to the top of the pockets

the reflective bit is limited, but as above you can get stick-on tape, though sew-on might be better long term
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Anonymous
    But high vis only adds reflectivity. Just stick some tape on there. Or, sadly, a x belt or something. Remember that black is irrelevant after dark. It's all about the lights and reflectives.

Finally. Someone who agrees. Hi vis colours are pointless in the dark. Its like saying black cars are more likely to crash than white ones. If you are lit up and have reflective patches where appropriate then the colour you wear is irrelevant. Hi vis in the day. Especially grey overcast days makes sense. But in the dark not really
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    But high vis only adds reflectivity. Just stick some tape on there. Or, sadly, a x belt or something. Remember that black is irrelevant after dark. It's all about the lights and reflectives.

Finally. Someone who agrees. Hi vis colours are pointless in the dark. Its like saying black cars are more likely to crash than white ones. If you are lit up and have reflective patches where appropriate then the colour you wear is irrelevant. Hi vis in the day. Especially grey overcast days makes sense. But in the dark not really

High vis colours are better in the dark than black. I'm basing this on the thousands of times I've seen cyclists wearing black and seen cyclists wearing hi-vis in the dark. Of course reflectives will trump hi vis, but to just think all colours become the same in the dark is complete rubbish. High vis does help.

Note, I wouldn't bother wearing it but some people like to make themselves as 'christmas tree' as possible, especially in busy areas or if they are crap riders who ride in the middle of the road.
  • But high vis only adds reflectivity. Just stick some tape on there. Or, sadly, a x belt or something. Remember that black is irrelevant after dark. It's all about the lights and reflectives.

High vis colours are better in the dark than black. I'm basing this on the thousands of times I've seen cyclists wearing black and seen cyclists wearing hi-vis in the dark. Of course reflectives will trump hi vis, but to just think all colours become the same in the dark is complete rubbish. High vis does help.

Note, I wouldn't bother wearing it but some people like to make themselves as 'christmas tree' as possible, especially in busy areas or if they are crap riders who ride in the middle of the road.

You can't see hi vis in the dark. Not in the sense of pitch black. It's a colour. If you can see it then it is reflecting (I use this in the light spectrum sense) some form of ambient light. So, if you have a moonlit night it's possible that lime green high vis will be easier to see than a black jacket. Probably.

At dusk it's fairly clear that a light colour will be more visible.

I think the issue is what we consider high vis to be. For me, true high vis is something which reflects, something that is useful in the dark. Beyond that we have the type of high vis that is more noticeable in the daylight. Lime green for example.

I have to say that, when my commute is truly dark in the winter, I don't mind what I wear. But at approaching sunset I think a lighter colour wins out.
  • mfin
    edited October 2015
    You can't see hi vis in the dark. Not in the sense of pitch black. It's a colour. If you can see it then it is reflecting (I use this in the light spectrum sense) some form of ambient light. So, if you have a moonlit night it's possible that lime green high vis will be easier to see than a black jacket. Probably.

Yes, but in the dark all the vehicles people are worried about being seen by have headlights on, and these headlights emit light don't they? Colours reflect more frequencies of this light than black does. Plus, we've become subconsciously programmed from experience to recognise hi-vis yellow type colours as being worn by people who want to be seen. So it all helps.
  • Alpha jacket and the spray on high vis paint.
  • Anonymous

At dusk it's fairly clear that a light colour will be more visible.

I think the issue is what we consider high vis to be. For me, true high vis is something which reflects, something that is useful in the dark. Beyond that we have the type of high vis that is more noticeable in the daylight. Lime green for example.

I have to say that, when my commute is truly dark in the winter, I don't mind what I wear. But at approaching sunset I think a lighter colour wins out.

Your eyes cant see colour in the dark. Scientific fact. The rods and cones in your eyes work differently. Where rods are better at seeing in the dark they cant see colour. No amount of dayglo orange or yellow will be seen in the dark. If no light hits it its just as black as, well black.

As I said. In dank grey daylight hi vis works great cos there is natural light to make is show up. But in the pitch dark is will only be seen by direct light shining on it like a headlight. Then by that time a car should already see the lights anyway.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Reflectives every time - besides, high-viz just makes you look like some reprobate from a health & safety course. Respro do some pressure sensitive, reflective sticker kits - I adorned a softshell jacket years ago for winter riding (ironing permanently sets the stickers) and they've remained stuck-on.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mfin
    Reflectives every time - besides, high-viz just makes you look like some reprobate from a health & safety course.

As against a fully grown man mincing about in lycra?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Reflectives and bright colours BOTH need light shone on them to be visible at night. One reflects more light than the other but both reflect more light than black, and will stand out against the background which is not lit up.
  • mfin
    Reflectives and bright colours BOTH need light shone on them to be visible at night. One reflects more light than the other but both reflect more light than black, and will stand out against the background which is not lit up.

Correct.

People seem more interested in irrelevantly arguing whether they'd be seen in the blackness of space though.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Something like Sugoi Zap jacket, not warm enough though, perhaps could be worn over the Alpha?
  • redvision
    Thanks for all the replies. Some really interesting comments and opinions.

I have spent the afternoon today searching online to see if i could find any really warm jackets with high vis but i haven't found one! I can't really understand why this is. I mean you need an Alpha type jacket in deep winter when the days are short and nights long & cold. There is clearly a gap in the market for a really warm jacket with high visability, so why aren't castelli, Rapha etc making such a jacket??!!

Anyway, i think i will be going the way of trying to get used to (and more comfortable) wearing a high vis belt with arm bands for night riding with my Alpha. Seems like the only real option at the moment :(
  • sungod
    i still treasure my castelli quantum radiation jacket, very light and very warm, and white, even after six winters it's still white, road gundge just washes out (hand wash with the assos cleaner), and the silver radiation warning symbol on the back just oozes excess in the best castelli tradition

the liner is getting delicate though, maybe only a couple more years in it, sadly they stopped making them, i'd happily buy another, if i'd known castelli would go boring, i'd have bought two or three and stored them for future years!

sadly, there seems to be a cult of black in road cycling, especially come winter, i suspect the limited colour range is due to people thinking it'll make them look like commuters if they wear something more visible, but black is so boring, my punk past means i can appreciate dayglo
  • Anonymous
    I am pretty sure that if multi million pound companies like Castelli, Gore etc thought hi vis clothing would sell well they would make it. But they do sell lots if items with hi reflectives strips on them. R&D in clothing companies is huge. If they think hi vis is less important than hi reflective then they are probably right
  • sungod
    edited November 2015
    you've done high vis vs. reflective to death above, and it has no relevance to my point, which is that...

boring, dull, montonous, follow the herd, black vs. something different; the market is the herd, which wears black, hence that's what manufacturers cater to
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I am pretty sure that if multi million pound companies like Castelli, Gore etc thought hi vis clothing would sell well they would make it. But they do sell lots if items with hi reflectives strips on them. R&D in clothing companies is huge. If they think hi vis is less important than hi reflective then they are probably right

I have so much Castelli stuff but none of it has reflectives really worth a damn - they seem to make the beading round stitching as an extremely small and narrow reflective. Seems more like an afterthought just to get a tick n the box. They dont do any proper reflective in reasonable sizes like Altura and others do for example. But they do make lots of items with big panels or even entirely coloured in dayglow yellow, red and green. So actually your argument fails on its own terms... According to how you measure things, bright colours are MORE important than reflectives...

Similarly, when I bought my Gore Phantom I could get it in every bright colour under the sun, but I dont think it has any reflectives on it that I can recall.
  • Wondering if anyone has seen a jacket which is as warm as the Castelli Alpha, but has reflective detail on the back?

I don't really want to wear an additional reflective belt/strap with my Alpha as i find them too uncomfortable, but need something warm like the Alpha for night rides in the winter.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

A mate of mine has one of these,

http://capocycling.com/collections/jackets-and-vests/products/pursuit-hivis-thermal-jacket?variant=1120685097

The grey looking cuffs and panels on the rear/sholders are highly reflective. The jersey itself is windtex front and roubaix rear.
    It's not been proper cold here yet but with a base layer he thinks it will be good down to 0 degrees.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    I have Gore Soft Shell windstopper jackets and highly rate them. I don't have eprsonal experience of the Gore waterproof jackets such as the oxygen 2.0 or the element jacket, but both are gore-tex and you could layer the thermo or soft shell jackets under them.