My Most Hated Time of the Year

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited November 2015 in The cake stop
Well hear we are again. Halloween and Firework Night over the next few days.
I wouldn't mind the Trick or Treat if it was like it was done in the USA where the young kids in the neighbourhood dress up and are accompanied by an older sibling or parent. It seems a fun thing.
When our two were young they did the dressing up thing and went around with their neighbourhood friends and knocked on each others doors. It just didn't seem appropriate to bother non participants.
My experience now is that we get teenagers in a 'Scream' mask, whose knuckles are chaffed from dragging on the ground, who can barely utter a word of more than two syllables and clearly only want money. I remember one year that to be fun I would drawn Halloween faces on Tangerines/Clementines (mini pumpkins). My god the reaction! It was as if I had handed them a t*rd.

And don't get me started on the fireworks. It is the 5th of November. Not the Fortnight of November.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,415
    Completely agree. I provide the fireworks in my bedroom and I don't need competition from noisy neighbours thank you very much. I certainly won't be answering the door on Halloween.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Happy Halloween!

I have to say I don't mind it. I get the witch/ghost/Dracula thing, but what's with the recent obsession with fake blood and gore?
    I don't have kids and don't open the door to trick or treaters, but my local has Hobgoblin ale on, which is good. And a mate of mine is a pagan - now they can throw a Halloween party.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    You miserable old gits. :P
    Kids round are way are generally well behaved on Halloween. If you don't put a pumpkin out you don't get bothered. Most of them are young and some of the mum's make an effort and get dressed up. Slutty witch is nearly always a good look. Fireworks don't bother me as most of them stop early enough. I'll be running the bar at the scouts fireworks do again. So long as I sell more than I drink they are happy. Good job TLW isn't around here.

edit: Above accusation obviously not aimed at BBG. Hobgoblin is good. Unfortunately my local isn't doing his Halloween beer festival this year.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    Onions done up as toffee apples. They won't come back. Hopefully.
    Just be ready with a bigger "trick" and tell them this is Britain. We don't do trick or treat.
    Maintain our own traditions thank you very much. The 80s has a lot to answer for and importing this is one.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I bought 3 big bags of fun size chocolates and sweets last week for Hallowe'en.

And I've eaten them all.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    I'm with V68 on this one.

But I can see and understand that it depends upon where you live. They are nice around us, and tend to be polite, and it seems to be an unwritten law that you are left alone if you don't 'advertise' with decorations/pumpkin.

The older I get, the better I was.

• mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    I'm with V68 on this one.

But I can see and understand that it depends upon where you live. They are nice around us, and tend to be polite, and it seems to be an unwritten law that you are left alone if you don't 'advertise' with decorations/pumpkin.

Not here. We get oiks from the local estate (yes I am labelling here and couldn't care if that offends) who maraud along the quiet residential streets almost demanding money with menace. Have even seen younger kids with pimp type teenagers checking up on their tote bags to see what was given.

I like the onions disguised as toffee apples idea. How easy is it to disguise leaky batteries as liquorice allsorts?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

I like the onions disguised as toffee apples idea. How easy is it to disguise leaky batteries as liquorice allsorts?

Chocolate cover cat poo look very much like pralines.

Just putting it out there.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    You miserable old gits. :P
    Kids round are way are generally well behaved on Halloween. If you don't put a pumpkin out you don't get bothered. Most of them are young and some of the mum's make an effort and get dressed up. Slutty witch is nearly always a good look. Fireworks don't bother me as most of them stop early enough. I'll be running the bar at the scouts fireworks do again. So long as I sell more than I drink they are happy. Good job TLW isn't around here.

edit: Above accusation obviously not aimed at BBG. Hobgoblin is good. Unfortunately my local isn't doing his Halloween beer festival this year.

Unfortunately, my wife isn't doing "slutty witch" this year when she accompanies the kids as they do trick or treat. Apologies, I'll make sure she does it next year.
  • veronese68
    Unfortunately, my wife isn't doing "slutty witch" this year when she accompanies the kids as they do trick or treat. Apologies, I'll make sure she does it next year.
    :D If you don't mind, that would be lovely. My son is too old for trick or treating really. The girl might go out with her friends, but as she is at a party in Raynes Park I don't have to deal with it. Me and the Mrs might go to the pub.
    Have you noticed the patrons of the Wych Elm have generally become better looking and more female since the refurb? Much noisier though.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    I've just recalled a story my mum told me about her childhood and Halloween. She's 91 now, so the tradition isn't as American and new as some might think, although I admit the occasion could have been used as "Penny for the Guy". Money was very tight for my mum as a kid, another story involved moving house because this one was 1/2 d cheaper a week in rent.

Anyway, they went around collecting and called at the house of a very well-to-do lady. She had prepared and thought it was a great joke to give them pennies that she had heated in the fire. Of course, the kids didn't realise, they were just happy to be given a penny each and this burnt their hands. I remember the old pennies, they were big things and would have held a lot of heat, before that they were bigger still, great thick, clumsy things.

The burn on my mum's hand was so bad that she had to go to the doctor, perhaps it got infected. The doctor went round to the lady's house and told her off! :lol:

If you try this trick, or any that could cause harm, stand by for assault charges and all the fun that will bring.

The older I get, the better I was.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    I can sympathise with Goo and the Oiks but we are lucky enough to lie in a locality with lots of young kids mainly accompanies by parents and it's great fun. They have to tell me a halloween joke before I part with nuts, fruit and Haribo. Which is always fun. I would never give out money and the sooner people stop doing that, maybe certain protagonists won't be looking for it.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872
    As the front of our house is up some tight dark steps, we tend to get ignored by the kids and the sluty witches :(
  • pinno
    As the front of our house is up some tight dark steps, we tend to get ignored by the kids and the sluty witches :(

You standing there with the chainsaw is probably a more likely reason.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872

You standing there with the chainsaw is probably a more likely reason.

:lol:
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    When I saw the title I thought "ah someone else does not like it when wet leaves cover the ground". Then I read the content and thought, "what is worse? Leaves or Trick or treaters?". I think leaves, at least T or Ts don't linger for weeks on end and cause damage to your bike (if you fall off that is).

P.S. chocolate covered sprouts look like upmarket choccies until the little brats bite into them. Chocolate covered scotch bonnets would be even better.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • veronese68
    Not a single trick or treater knocked on the door. I'm not sure if this is purely down to the lack of pumpkin or if the wet paint sign helped.
    You could try that next year Goo.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    I found that shutting the spiky topped gates outside my folks front garden kinda helped keep the fancy dressed underclass at bay :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    sluty witches :(
    What's a 'sluty witch'? Pictures please.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    I still have no idea why Mr Goo didn't nail a blow up of his avatar to his front door.
    It would also dissuade any cold callers bar cannibals.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    :D If you don't mind, that would be lovely. My son is too old for trick or treating really. The girl might go out with her friends, but as she is at a party in Raynes Park I don't have to deal with it. Me and the Mrs might go to the pub.
    Have you noticed the patrons of the Wych Elm have generally become better looking and more female since the refurb? Much noisier though.

Yep, when the Canbury is full for dinner a few of the regular patrons go crazy and slum it in the Wych Elm for sh!ts & giggles.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799

Yep, when the Canbury is full for dinner a few of the regular patrons go crazy and slum it in the Wych Elm for sh!ts & giggles.
    It's always sh!its and giggles. Right up to the point when some one giggles and sh!ts.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Unfortunately, my wife isn't doing "slutty witch" this year when she accompanies the kids as they do trick or treat. Apologies, I'll make sure she does it next year.

It's always sh!its and giggles. Right up to the point when some one giggles and sh!ts.

:lol::lol:
  • I took my 2 kids out trick or treating just to the houses where a pumpkin or other decorations were on display. At the second house we went to a bloke bellowed from behind a tree 'What do you two want?' Never see my little one run so fast. His treats were nice.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    Spent 3 hours playing a corpse lying in a coffin as part of the show put on at our local community farm. First time I'd done it and had a great time scaring the s**t out of people by sitting up every now and then (best fun was the adults I could hear predicting me moving but I still got them jumping a mile, one spilt his pint). All good fun on the whole but for one small group of drunk teenagers who thought constantly poking and slapping me to get me to react would be funny. Unfortunately there were too many people around for me to react and the cops took the worst offender away just before my last shred of control left me!!
  • pinno
    Spent 3 hours playing a corpse lying in a coffin as part of the show put on at our local community farm. First time I'd done it and had a great time scaring the s**t out of people by sitting up every now and then (best fun was the adults I could hear predicting me moving but I still got them jumping a mile, one spilt his pint). All good fun on the whole but for one small group of drunk teenagers who thought constantly poking and slapping me to get me to react would be funny. Unfortunately there were too many people around for me to react and the cops took the worst offender away just before my last shred of control left me!!

So the long and short of it was that you were perfectly suited to that role ?