New SKS raceblade long?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Ive just tried to fit these to find that there is not enough clearance under the fork for the metal bracket that fixes under the front brake caliper. Do Crud have a similar method? Did the previous version have the same bracket? I cant imagine any race bike having enough clearance especially with 25mm tyres.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• If they're anything like the Raceblades I got last year you'll have trouble. I can only fit them if I use 23mm tyres - the brackets rub against the tyres if they're 25mm.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    If they're anything like the Raceblades I got last year you'll have trouble. I can only fit them if I use 23mm tyres - the brackets rub against the tyres if they're 25mm.
    Im using 23 mm and at 100psi the wheel doesnt move. I see Crud say very clearly on their home page not suitable with less than 4mm clearance. Shame SKS dont do the same.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Over the last couple of years, I've tried to fit raceblades, cruds (craps?) and a number of others to my Specialized Allez without success - the only ones that did fit rattled so much that I grew to hate them after a very short time. In the end, I gave up and put a pair of full fenders on my hybrid for winter / wet purposes but soon got bored with that as I simply did not enjoy riding the hybrid as much as a roadie. However, a little while ago I saw a review of these Giant Defy mudguards:
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Road-Bike-Mudguard-Set-Rapid-Defy-Dash-Avail-_34189.htm?sku=79327&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=AdwordsProductAds&utm_campaign=Adwords&gclid=CMDan9KX6sgCFVG6Gwodn4IE8A#

They work a treat and I have attached them to the bike using P Clips at the back and hose clips, with a rubber sleeve, on the front and they are very solid and, importantly, don't look like too much of a botch job. Apparently, they are supposed to work with a little as 4mm clearance under the calipers. FWIW, my Allez is on Mavic Aksium with 25mm tyres under Shimano Tiagra brakes and there's still a fair bit of room. I can post pictures if anybody is interested.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)