Kinesis Maxlight hub service

pnm563
pnm563 Posts: 5
edited November 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I am struggling to strip and service the hub of my Kinesis Maxlight IX rear wheel. The hub is essentially a clone of the DMR Zone, as specified in the last page of this service guide.

http://shop.upgradebikes.co.uk/files/technical/dmr/DMRZoneHubServiceGuide.pdf

The guide says to take the axle end caps off using cone spanners. My caps don't have such slots, and I have always easily been able to undo them by hand.

Next it says, simply take the axle out and freehub off, but the axle will not budge. It's either seized, or there is something I have to undo/move to get it out.

If there is nothing else as the picture suggests and the axle is just seized, then it means the end caps both stop the axle sliding and hold the freehub body in place. I find that hard to believe, and I don't want to whack it with a hammer just yet!

There is nothing obvious holding the axle in place either, so I am proper stuck.

The axle is for 135mm rear end with traditional dropouts. There is another axle for 142mm that came with the wheels. It's completely flush all the way along, no shoulders or recesses. Theoretically, if that one slides in, this one should slide out.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So post up some pictures so we can see what you actually have.

Most likely cartridge bearings that will require knocking out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well, reading that, together with your description of the alternate axle, it sounds like you'll just need to tap the axle out. Support the hub and stick a block of wood on the end of the axle and give it a whack.
  • Thanks for the replies.

Just before reaching for the hammer, I managed to get both thumbs on the axle and simply push it out.

Turns out the whole assembly is held together by the end caps. It's just as it shows in the photo in the PDF link below.

Cheers
    Paul