Should I get easier pedals?

2»

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664

As for unclipping, I'd be interested to know your leg positions at the point of unclipping and whether your foot is straight, slightly forward, slightly behind you etc.

Try unclipping when your pedal is at the top, so the other leg that's not being unclipped is extended, you might find you're a lot more balanced that way when you unclip. Try it. (I think you're unclipping the opposite of this because you feel the unclipping foot is about to be on the ground so you're doing it when it's closest).
    I always find it easier to unclip with the pedal at the bottom of the stroke, i.e. with my toe pointing upwards meaning my leg is fully extended . I use SPDs on all my bikes.

rumbataz - in view of what you say in your original post about cost not being an issue, it seems a no-brainer to give SPDs a go. You shouldn't have any problems unclipping, and clipping-in will be much easier than with SPD-SLs.
  • I had been using MTN SPD for years, and just decided that my new road bike needed proper road pedals. I happened to have a brand new pair of road shoes and they were lighter than my MTN shoes, so that made the decision easier. I got Dura Ace road pedals. I turned them to the lowest setting, used the yellow 8 degree float cleat, and find them easy enough to use. Twist your ankle to release them.

So no, I would not get rid of your Ultegra unless you commute to somewhere and want to walk around a lot in the bike shoes.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Have you guys not read what the OP posted above?
    ...think I've cracked it!!! ....
    I took on board the advice in this thread and unclipping became extremely easy all of a sudden.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I think I've cracked it!!! Was about to ride the hybrid this morning but it was nice and sunny so went on the road bike, with some trepidation.

However, I took on board the advice in this thread and unclipping became extremely easy all of a sudden. I think it's a combination of two things that helped:

1. Loosening the tension on the pedals even more (which I did yesterday) - in fact, I think I can increase the tension slightly now as it's a little too easy to unclip!

2. Unclipping at the 12 O'clock position - this is just so much easier and there's no wobbling! There's far less effort required and the action is easier and a little bit more intuitive and natural.

The result? A hugely enjoyable ride and I'm still buzzing! A really big thank you to all those who offered advice in this thread.

I read this and it put a smile on my face. My wife asked what was I smiling about. I told her and now she thinks my head is going in my old age. She simply does not understand. You have to have been there yourself to understand.

Good luck Runbataz, I hope you enjoy the rest of your cycling life as much as I do.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I think I've cracked it!!! Was about to ride the hybrid this morning but it was nice and sunny so went on the road bike, with some trepidation.

However, I took on board the advice in this thread and unclipping became extremely easy all of a sudden. I think it's a combination of two things that helped:

1. Loosening the tension on the pedals even more (which I did yesterday) - in fact, I think I can increase the tension slightly now as it's a little too easy to unclip!

2. Unclipping at the 12 O'clock position - this is just so much easier and there's no wobbling! There's far less effort required and the action is easier and a little bit more intuitive and natural.

The result? A hugely enjoyable ride and I'm still buzzing! A really big thank you to all those who offered advice in this thread.

I read this and it put a smile on my face. My wife asked what was I smiling about. I told her and now she thinks my head is going in my old age. She simply does not understand. You have to have been there yourself to understand.

Good luck Runbataz, I hope you enjoy the rest of your cycling life as much as I do.
    Yes, good luck, but I'm really surprised you find it easier to unclip with your foot at the 12 o'clock position, i.e. at the top of the pedal stroke.
  • rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    Yes, me too! But it works for me. I honestly can't think why I never questioned my technique. I did watch many videos of cyclists unclipping on YouTube the night before I tried it and many did unclip at the top of the pedal stroke. It's that which got me to try it out and it just worked straight away for me.

In fact on the long straights on a cycle path I was pedalling along and clipping in/unclipping every few metres to get the hang of it and it was just so easy to do - I even tried my other leg and that was just as easy to do too.

Here's a few that I watched several times each which got me to try out the 12 O'clock position for unclipping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28IdOvbk7Us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoUtQwTeAsc

This one has the camera pointed at the foot that does the clipping in/out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YspHE9gsyqE

This one the unclipping is done at top and bottom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsANKHyVnbk

This is a detailed unclipping video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLZbijqcjtw

Some slow-motion clipping in/unclipping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHKqXOruPUg

Next on my To-Do list is to adjust the cleats on my shoes but that can wait a while.
  • great share of ideas guys! I must try my friends first before I get one for myself.

engraved whiskey wine beer rocks bar glasses barware
    engraved wedding gift ideas
  • fortyone
    fortyone Posts: 166
    I found exactly the same issue when I tried Shimano 105 pedals - harder to clip out, and knew I could never get used to those. Ever since then I've been using Look pedals. The best ones from them to clip out of are Look Keo Classic, Look Keo 2 Max (non carbon), which I now use and have them at the starting setting of 9nms, Look Easy and Keo 2 MAX BLADE. If you look at their website the tensions are shown on their pedals and they will show minimum tensions of 8nm or 9nm, which are spot on.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    This has to be a technique issue.

What you must bear in is that on a typical 25 mile ride - you maybe unclip 3 or 4 times ?

What I did was cycled to a flat bit of road - then for around 40 minutes just soley practice cliping in and clipping out - as you improve try it on a hill.