2016 Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-Mod or Standard

potsiea
potsiea Posts: 4
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
i am tossing up between a heavily up spec 2016 Standard Super Six Evo (dealer recommendation) or a High Mod version. There is a huge difference in the frame prices. I can find out that the Hi Mod is 67g lighter for the frameset than 2015 at 1303g and has a number of enhancements, but i cannot find any info on the changes if any for the 2016 standard frame and what the weight difference is to the Hi-Mod. Does anyone know the answer?

Also, is the 2016 Standard frame the 2015 Hi-Mod frame by any chance? If this is the case i would be more comfortable with the recommendation and save the dollars

Thanks

Comments

• I believe I did read somewhere that this years Supersix Evo is last year's high mod. If it has internal cable routing then it probably is- the 2015 Evo still had external routing as far as I'm aware.

I would probably go with the dealer's advice tbh, unless you really have your heart set on having a High-mod, otherwise you might just end up getting a high-mod later down the line. I doubt they'll feel any different though.
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    The 2016 Hi mod is completely new, I think the frame weight has slightly increased but overall weight has dropped. I have both current versions, you are looking at spending a lot of money to save 300 grams, no noticeable difference in ride quality. The choice is yours.
  • Thanks for the replies. Sounds like i should just save the dollars and get the standard frame
  • The 2016 Hi mod is completely new, I think the frame weight has slightly increased but overall weight has dropped. I have both current versions, you are looking at spending a lot of money to save 300 grams, no noticeable difference in ride quality. The choice is yours.

In truth, it's always a big chunk of money to save 300 grams. AFAIK, the biggest bit of weight saving vs. The 2015 is on the fork and narrower seat post. I'm not entirely convinced by the aero features, strikes me as a half measure until they drop a true "aero bike", probably derived from the Slice.

If you really want a hi-mod, look into a remaindered 2015?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Make sure it fits you. They are relatively short in the head tube and you see some berks running 30/40/50mm of spacers on them which is stupid as they should have bought a bike that fits.
  • Make sure it fits you. They are relatively short in the head tube and you see some berks running 30/40/50mm of spacers on them which is stupid as they should have bought a bike that fits.

Thanks. The Cannondale's geometry fits me best out of a number of brands. It wasn't even on my list until we went through the process properly. The short head tube being the key.