Giant S-XC2 Tubeless Conversion Leaking

kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited October 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning Chaps,

Recently I noticed that my rear wheel / tyre on my Anthem X2 is leaking air.

I have standard Giant S-XC2 which I converted to tubeless (gorilla tape / stan / valves etc.);

I noticed its bubbling on the side of the rim, where the rim connects / overlaps !

I mean its not where the tyre sits on the rim its rim itself. There is a little joint line on the side of the rim where they connect two ends of the rim to make a wheel.

I hope you understand what I mean ?

What are my options here ??

a) do I need new, probably tubeless ready rim ?;

or

b) should I re-do the rim conversion with gorilla tape and put more tape on the rime where the joint is ?

Thanks for any advice !!

Chris

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The rim tape should mean that doesn't happen as the rim itself shouldn't see any air from the tyre (the rim tape goes from one bead across to the other), so fresh rim tape time if it doesn't seal. You don't need more tape there, just correctly applied tape.

The joint is sleeved, so there is an insert that aligns the two ends and then the spoke tension pulls it together (once built up you could take the sleeve out and still ride it just fine), it is not a sealed joint so if there is a gap in the rim tape it will leak, many high end rims are sleeved or pinned and will do the same, a few are welded (Stans) and would not, but if the rim tape is incomplete they would still leak out the spoke holes anyway.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    The rim tape should mean that doesn't happen as the rim itself shouldn't see any air from the tyre (the rim tape goes from one bead across to the other), so fresh rim tape time if it doesn't seal. You don't need more tape there, just correctly applied tape.

The joint is sleeved, so there is an insert that aligns the two ends and then the spoke tension pulls it together (once built up you could take the sleeve out and still ride it just fine), it is not a sealed joint so if there is a gap in the rim tape it will leak, many high end rims are sleeved or pinned and will do the same, a few are welded (Stans) and would not, but if the rim tape is incomplete they would still leak out the spoke holes anyway.

Cheers Rookie - quick as usual !!

Looks like cleaning, new tape, fresh sealant etc....