Dartmoor classic

stoveman
stoveman Posts: 125
Looking at doing a couple of sportives next year having never entered one before,and the thought of a target event would help me motivation wise to train and push in the miles.
Currently riding 50 -70 miles a week over 3 trips.
Anybody who has ridden the Dartmoor Classic have any thoughts on it as a debut Sportive for a novice rider.
I was planning the Medio route of 67 miles.
Many thanks.

Phil.

Comments

• Spatulala
    Spatulala Posts: 291
    A brilliant event organised by the good folk of Mid Devon CC, one of my faves. Some proper Dartmoor climbs to make it enough of a challenge, in an epic landscape. I'll be riding the Grande again next year, make sure you register on Saturday as it does sell out.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872
    A brilliant event organised by the good folk of Mid Devon CC, one of my faves. Some proper Dartmoor climbs to make it enough of a challenge, in an epic landscape. I'll be riding the Grande again next year, make sure you register on Saturday as it does sell out.

Covers it perfectly. Great organisation and feed stops ensures it's a great day out
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923
    I've never ridden it, but I know from what people say it's a great event. As I live close enough to choose when to ride on Dartmoor I prefer to pick a day when the weather is going to be kind - it can be beautiful or beastly up there.

One word of warning - Dartmoor is a hard ride - average climbing is well north of 1000ft per 10 miles, and you never settle into a rhythm - the Alps are far easier. In other words, bear that in mind when picking your route length.