10 speed BRAKES? I'm confused...

wilshawk
wilshawk Posts: 119
edited October 2015 in Road beginners
hello,

I've seen some brakes on Wiggle described as '10 speed', I dont understand this, the rim brake is not connected to the gears so how can a brake be called 10 speed?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-veloce-10-speed-dual-pivot-brake-calipers/

Comments

• It just means they are designed to work with those particular brake levers. They may, or may not, work with others too.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    You'd obviously go quicker if you had 11 speeds wouldn't you?

So it stands to reason that an 11 speed brake is designed to slow you down from the higher speeds that you'll be doing on an 11 speed bike, whereas a 10 speed brake is designed to handle the slightly lower speeds of a 10 speed bike.

Or perhaps what he said ^^ :-)
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    If you mean rim caliper type brakes, then what they probably mean is that they were designed as part of a 10 speed groupset e.g. Shimano Ultegra 6700/6750/6703 and work best with that groupsets STI shifter/brake levers, though can be used with other compatible STI's.
  • In the real world, it probably makes no differecne at all. AFAIK no manufacturter change their pull ratios as part of releasing new 11 speed groupsets, so '10' speed and '11' speed brakes calipers would work equally well on a 9 speed rig.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    All it means is they are the Pivot Brakes from the Camapgnolo Veloce 10 Speed groupset. Its just they way its worded.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    In the real world, it probably makes no differecne at all. AFAIK no manufacturter change their pull ratios as part of releasing new 11 speed groupsets, so '10' speed and '11' speed brakes calipers would work equally well on a 9 speed rig.
    Shimano changed the cable pull when they hid the gear cables on the 10sp sets. Old brakes with the new levers need a harder pull on the levers. I don't know if they changed again with 11sp.
  • Shimano changed the cable pull when they hid the gear cables on the 10sp sets. Old brakes with the new levers need a harder pull on the levers. I don't know if they changed again with 11sp.

I use 6800 brakes with 6700 levers, works perfectly well.
  • wilshawk
    wilshawk Posts: 119
    thanks folks for clearing this up