replacing a derailleur hanger

generalcyclist
generalcyclist Posts: 28
edited November 2015 in Commuting general
When replacing a derailleur hanger :
Is it possible to replace it with a generic ?
Or are hangers quite specific to bike frames ? (i.e. you would need to buy the exact hanger for that frame)
... Or some other particular buying rule (i.e. road or MTB, hanger type A, type 2 etc)

So far I have been told both answers.

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • When replacing a derailleur hanger :
    Or are hangers quite specific to bike frames ? (i.e. you would need to buy the exact hanger for that frame)
    ... Or some other particular buying rule (i.e. road or MTB, hanger type A, type 2 etc)

Last time I looked there were in excess of 100 varieties. They are most definitely specific. You can get a generic emergency hanger, but they are very much get-you-home jobs. Anyone telling you generic is the way forward is someone to politely ignore.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    When replacing a derailleur hanger :

They are make and module and year specific. Some makes use one for a range. Some use one for all. It all depends. But you need yo get the correct one for your frame. Generic (get me home) hangers are just that. A get me home fix.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What bike?

Merida made frames have mostly used one hanger from 2006, very common and can be had from Halfords (Carrera, Voodoo, Boardman use it as well as Claude Butlers etc etc) for £7.99, others are much rarer and the price goes up accordingly.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Handy tip - if you need to buy anew mech hanger, buy 2!! Then when (not if) the next emergency happens you have a spare. A snapped mech hanger the day before a sportive last year meant I had to borrow an entire spare bike!
    On the plus side that was my rationale to the domestic commander for buying my n+1!
  • Thanks for the replies.

I see now in the crazy world of bike parts that for a vital part that is supposed to save us buying a whole new frame, the bike makers often don't make the part as a spare and we need to hope a CNC machinist makes a copy of it.

I ordered a copy (?) for £7 on ebay from a CNC company.

It would be interesting to know why there is not one agreed universal hanger. e.g. indifference, perceived money benefit, not possible.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    diferent frame designs need different hangers.

one would not work. and why would you think the bike company would do such a thing when they can decide on BB standards, brake mount standards. headset standards or even wheel sizes?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Replacement hangars are not expensive but getting the right one is crucial. If you are struggling get in touch with these guys. When i broke my hangar it was a major pain. I posted on the Facebook page and they told me exactly which part to order.

http://pilo.co.il

(Looks like gearmechhanger link is a reseller so maybe you got it covered already)