Front tyre blow out

PSA-velo
PSA-velo Posts: 3
edited October 2015 in Road beginners
I have just completed a superb ride in the Lakes from Keswick, over Whinlatter, to Buttermere and back over Honister Pass (25%!) however on the way down Honister towards the bottom I got a front tyre blow in the tube but no tyre damage and no cut/thorn in tyre, rims were hot though from heavy breaking, what can cause this tube blow out?

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    What can cause this tube blow out?
    rims were hot though from heavy breaking

Hope you were unscathed. Blow outs from hot rims are a scary thing (not suffered it myself, but been near someone who had it happen).
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    edited October 2015
    Others might disagree but I doubt the hot rim would have caused it unless you got very unlucky and the rim was very hot. In any event, sorry to be a pedant but did you have a real blow out or just get a puncture? I suspect the latter as you say there is no tyre damage. So far as punctures go, if you have checked the tyre carefully but found no foreign objects, it's time to accept sometimes sh1t just happens and there might not be an explanation.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Could have been a pinch flat. Caused when the tube gets compressed between the rim and the inside of the tyre. What pressure do you run your tyres at?

Also, I would check other things like spokes protuding through the rim tape. I have known people constatly getting puctures thinking its a thorn etc and its a spoke.
  • Could have been a pinch flat. Caused when the tube gets compressed between the rim and the inside of the tyre. What pressure do you run your tyres at?

Also, I would check other things like spokes protuding through the rim tape. I have known people constatly getting puctures thinking its a thorn etc and its a spoke.

What pressure do you run your tyres at? I run at 100 psi will check the spokes at rim interface thanks, fortunately no damage done but a scary moment!!
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Please take this as permission to buy a set of tubeless or tubular tyres.
    Insert bike here:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Could have been a pinch flat. Caused when the tube gets compressed between the rim and the inside of the tyre. What pressure do you run your tyres at?

What pressure do you run your tyres at? I run at 100 psi will check the spokes at rim interface thanks, fortunately no damage done but a scary moment!!

I run eithet Schwalbe one 25mm or Conti gp4 25mm at 80psi on Zonda rims. Not the widest rims but hold the wider tyres well. I weigh 68kg so can get away with lower pressures. But i think most could go to 80psi on 25s.