Wheel choice with winter almost here

fatsmoker
fatsmoker Posts: 585
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
My current Fulcrum 7s are looking a bit worn. Not looking to spend more than £120 on wheels as most of my miles are rough ar$e road commuting in and out of Leicester. Which one from these? Looking for longevity over speed now as I'm commuting all through winter.
Mavic Aksium
Campag Khamsin
Shimano RS11
Fulcrum racing 7s again

All in the Wiggle sale at the mo for less than £120 a pair. I run 11 speed 105 if that makes a difference.

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    They are much of a muchness. Miche reflex though are probably the most robust.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,140
    Shimano RS010s? They are the 11 speed version of the R501s. I got mine for £70 from Ribble.

I'm sure the other wheels are marginally better but it is marginal and they are nearly 50% more. For winter wheels, I want to be able to brake downhill on mucky salty roads and not care about trashing my rims.

I'm really impressed with mine so far. Robust build, silent freehub, decent sealing, heavier than my normal wheels but don't really notice it much; and I can afford to get a new pair every year at £70 a set.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I swapped my racing 7s for RS21s, if you shop around you'll pick them up for about £110,
    I generally use them as a wet and winter wheel but I've used them occasionally during the summer months and I can't fault them, they actually made me question why I spend so much on wheels.

£112 at CRC, £101 if your a member of British Cycling
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I would look for something with sealed bearings for winter the riding.

Personally i would go for the Aksiums or Fulcrums.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I would look for something with sealed bearings for winter the riding.

Personally i would go for the Aksiums or Fulcrums.

I always put a sliver of marine grease where it's requied and it works a treat.
    I learnt my lesson after leaving a set of RS80 wheels over winter after a wet ride, come spring time the bearings and cones etc were rusted up and useless.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    If they are just 'looking a bit worn' but otherwise still work OK, you would be better off to just keep using them. In winter, new wheels will just start to look crappy anyway so why bother? If you must get another set of wheels, get them and leave them in the loft until the weather improves next year and then swap them over for the summer with the old ones going back on in the winter.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Or you could nip up the M1 to Cycledivision and have a Guru bike fit for £150. This will give you £150 store credit to put towards https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/products/wheels/cero-ar24-alloy-road-wheelset-bundle for £189 which come with free tyres.

So for a cost of £189, you get a bike fit, a set of wheels and tyres. Appreciate that is more than your budget.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have only owned 2 sets of Shimano wheels but both were cup and cone hub bearings. As others have mentioned I personally would try to avoid these on winter wheels and look for sealed hub bearing type wheels.

It just means its another less thing to have to keep maintaining. Would mean buying cone spanners and regreasing. Its not a difficult job but why create more work for yourself?
  • I use some Shimano R501's. £70, silent as anything, and cheap to replace (should you need to, mine have been great).
  • fatsmoker
    Thank you for your input. I have plumped for the Racing 7s again. Current ones have done over 8000 miles with only a couple of popped spokes. Added a pair of Rubino Pro tyres all for the princely sum of £127.77 with my British cycling discount.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Thank you for your input. I have plumped for the Racing 7s again. Current ones have done over 8000 miles with only a couple of popped spokes.

If that was MY expierience, I would never buy them again..... :?
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    just picked up some Askium Elites from Acycles for £125 delivered WITH tyres and tubes! V early days and just a couple of rides but very impressed for the money. Hoping they serve as well as my SLE's on the summer bike....
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    just picked up some Askium Elites from Acycles for £125 delivered WITH tyres and tubes! V early days and just a couple of rides but very impressed for the money. Hoping they serve as well as my SLE's on the summer bike....
    Hope you swapped the tyres out, no grip in the wet and not very puncture resistance.
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    They are much of a muchness. Miche reflex though are probably the most robust.

Good choice. Miche wheels are very tough. I have a pair of Syntiums, which are the lighter alloy clinchers they do, and these are still bomb proof
  • fatsmoker
    New wheels on, cassette cleaned thoroughly, all very nice. Those 25 mm tyres are a bit snug beneath crud roadrace mudguards.
  • i just purchased these Mavic Aksium elite's to put on my winter bike wiggle price matched them down to £149 these come with tyres so will see how the fair.