Rechargeable Rear Light for Aero Seat Post

Olas
Olas Posts: 54
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Have been searching far and wide for a rear rechargeable light to fit on my Giant Propel's seatpost.

Currently using a Knog Blinder but it's stretched to the limit. Is there anything similarly as bright that would fit?
Reviews of most products indicate a poor fitting, too stretched. Is there anything with fittings for the saddle perhaps?
Any recommendations appreciated, searched the forum but nothing stands out.

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Use a Moon Comet and the saddle rail mounting kit that it comes with.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Ive just got a cateye x3 - absolutely brilliant light.
    I don't even use it on full power as its so bright - but it has a good range of options, and 2 different rows of leds so you can have one set solid and the other flashing.

Attaches with o rings (4 sizes included), and has a specific aero post mount which fits over the standard mount at the back to make it fit.
    I actually have mine attached to one of the rear stays and can't recommend it highly enough - it was pricey, but well worth it for this time of the year.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I use a Blackburn Mars 3 (I think the Mars 4 has the same mount). I use a couple of off-cuts of spark plug lead (but anything similar would do) to pack out either side of the trailer edge of the post to keep the light square. After 3 years, it's still fine.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Or an Exposure Flare with the optional saddle rail bracket. It's sold as a rechargeable option too which effectively gives you a rechargeable battery and charger, but it might not worth bothering with as it doesn't really eat batteries that quickly anyway, depends how much use your rear light gets.
  • Dan Walton
    Dan Walton Posts: 147
    edited October 2015
    I was going to put up a very smiler post. Picking my Propel up this week and my Lezyne Zecto won't fit the seat post.

I was torn between the Cateye Rapid X3 and Lezyne Stripdrive Pro, I think they both have 100 lumen output settings, I just went with the Lezyne because it's what I know.

I should have my bike and the light in the next few days, will report back on fitting and thoughts on the light. If it's anything like the other Lezyne lights I have then I'm expecting nice build quality and decent performance.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I'm was going to put up a very smiler post. Picking my Propel up this week and my Lezyne Zecto won't fit the seat post.

I was torn between the Cateye Rapid X3 and Lezyne Stripdrive Pro, I think they both have 100 lumen output settings, I just went with the Lezyne because it's what I know.

I should have my bike and the light in the next will report back on fitting and thoughts on the light. If it's anything like the other Lezyne lights I have then I'm expecting nice build quality and decent performance.

I've just bought a stripdrive. Fits brilliantly on the aero seatpost on my giant defy and seems to be a very good light with useful light patterns
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Or an Exposure Flare with the optional saddle rail bracket. It's sold as a rechargeable option too which effectively gives you a rechargeable battery and charger, but it might not worth bothering with as it doesn't really eat batteries that quickly anyway, depends how much use your rear light gets.

Or get the TraceR. Same as above, but with built-in, USB chargeable battery
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395

The new Comets also have a new design mount that can fit to aero posts with no side movements etc just in case you use a saddle bag.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Have been searching far and wide for a rear rechargeable light to fit on my Giant Propel's seatpost.

Currently using a Knog Blinder but it's stretched to the limit. Is there anything similarly as bright that would fit?
    Reviews of most products indicate a poor fitting, too stretched. Is there anything with fittings for the saddle perhaps?

I use a Lezyne Zecto Drive LED front and rear with an aero seat post and flat top bars with no problem attaching them. Good for being seen, but not for illuminating the way down dark country lanes.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There are plenty of rear lights that clamp onto the saddle rail instead of the seat post.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250

The new Comets also have a new design mount that can fit to aero posts with no side movements etc just in case you use a saddle bag.

In that just get the Comet, it's a brilliant light. http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/accessories/lights/back/product/review-moon-comet-12-46822/
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395

In that just get the Comet, it's a brilliant light. http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/accessories/lights/back/product/review-moon-comet-12-46822/

Agreed it's a superb light. I bought one originally in the summer for my TT bike. I then bought another one a few weeks back for my winter bike and this one came with the extra aero post mount.
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    The new Garmin Varia tail light with radar has a mount which is designed to fit onto aero seatposts, it is then secured with one of those typical rubber bands.

It's obviously quite pricey if you are just looking for a basic light that fits though.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    I'd avoid the Exposure Flash & Flare as they are poorly thought out and designed. The threads to screw on the lens (lens also acts as the switch for the different settings) are made of plastic. These wear quite easily. Once they do you will have a hard time keeping the light switched on. Water and dirt gets in very easily too which makes the threads wear quicker. The lights should be removed from the market but they are still floating around. :) The batterys are cheap crap too (both of mine leaked) along with the chargers. The newer usb TraceR seems to have addressed the problem.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652

+1. I've got the X2 version and I'm very happy with it. Very bright, wide viewing angle and a long run time.
  • Anonymous
    I don't even use it on full power as its so bright - but it has a good range of options, and 2 different rows of leds so you can have one set solid and the other flashing.

Attaches with o rings (4 sizes included), and has a specific aero post mount which fits over the standard mount at the back to make it fit.
    I actually have mine attached to one of the rear stays and can't recommend it highly enough - it was pricey, but well worth it for this time of the year.

Thats interesting about the aero mount.
    Is it only the X3 that has this (as opposed to any of the other Rapids)?
    Would have thought the X3 was a bit portly for an aero post, but would love the standard Rapid X to fit there (as do not want a rail mounted one).

Edit: Just had a look on the Cateye site and they only make the replacement base/mount for the X3 :evil:
    Looks like its an alternative baseplate/mount (rather than fits over standard one) which is a fantastic idea, but why not do the same thing for the, more aero, standard Rapid X?

Loving the Cateye Volt/Rapid range at the mo. Cannot wait for the USB charger/adaptor thing so I can use the Volt battery as a mobile charging device.
  • DKay
    The smaller Rapid X and X2 have a flexible rubber base on the rear, which conforms to whatever shaped seatpost you fit it to. Including aero types.
  • Anonymous
    The smaller Rapid X and X2 have a flexible rubber base on the rear, which conforms to whatever shaped seatpost you fit it to. Including aero types.

Nah, it kind of works but its a bit of a bodge (just tried it), The aero base would work much, much better.
    I just don't want an X3, but it may be the best option until they make an aero base for the Rapid X, or make a slim 100 lumen (single strip) light.
  • Have been searching far and wide for a rear rechargeable light to fit on my Giant Propel's seatpost.

I use a Lezyne Zecto Drive LED front and rear with an aero seat post and flat top bars with no problem attaching them. Good for being seen, but not for illuminating the way down dark country lanes.

Hmm, I've got my bike now so I might have to see if my Zecto will fit round the seat post...
  • DKay

Nah, it kind of works but its a bit of a bodge (just tried it), The aero base would work much, much better.
    I just don't want an X3, but it may be the best option until they make an aero base for the Rapid X, or make a slim 100 lumen (single strip) light.

Just had a look on the Cateye website myself and you're right, the 'Sharp Aero' rubber base would work better on thin aero seatposts than the standard, shallower base.
  • Anonymous
    It seems by far the best option but the X3 is overly chunky. Its basically two lights moulded together isn't it?

Are both halves 100 lumens? Or does 50 lumens + 50 lumens = 100 lumens? Cannot see they do, so a thinner single strip 100 lumen light with an aero post mount would be much better.
    Cateye are bringing out a new light every 5 min these days so maybe they will.

I am going to check out the X3 though now I know about the aero mount.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    It seems by far the best option but the X3 is overly chunky. Its basically two lights moulded together isn't it?

Are both halves 100 lumens? Or does 50 lumens + 50 lumens = 100 lumens? Cannot see they do, so a thinner single strip 100 lumen light with an aero post mount would be much better.
    Cateye are bringing out a new light every 5 min these days so maybe they will.

I am going to check out the X3 though now I know about the aero mount.

Hi Carbonator,

I haven't seen the size of an X2, but the X3 really isn't that big - one of the smallest and definitely the brightest rear light I've ever had. Looking at the cateye description I think its 100 lumens total output.

I took a quick photo of mine to show you the size - I have it mounted on one of the rear stays of my Domane.

x3.JPG

I don't use the aero mount, don't think it will fit any of the other models in the X series - but if anyone would find it useful, you are more than welcome to have it.
  • Anonymous
    Cheer bsharp, but have just found out it's an adapter that comes with X3 and it fits standard Rapid X perfectly :-)
    Part number 5447040.
    Says its for X3 only, but trust me, it's exactly the right size for the standard Rapid X. Could not be a better fit!
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Moon LX70. Very nice, solidly made bit of kit. Lots of settings and really, really bright.

I use it on my TT bike for day time TT races for max visibility. Its race bike only use so not used extensively, but very pleased so far.
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Very discrete on the corner of the seat post, but would also go around the post. Loads of pictures of the fittings on the moon website.

received_10152814086521455_zpsedaljjq2.jpeg

received_10152829568016455_zpsmvdpqkql.jpeg