Garmin Edge 1000 Navigation

manglier
manglier Posts: 1,208
edited November 2015 in Road general
I have recently received an Edge 1000, replacing my old Edge 800. My problem is that where the 800 beeped before an upcoming junction and emitted a shrill trill when off course the 1000 is totally silent when navigating. I contacted Garmin who replied that this is the case and that there are no audible prompts when navigating.
Are they telling me porkies just to shut me up? Does anyone with an Edge 1000 get audible navigation alerts? i.e. a beep when approaching a junction and a trill when off course.

Comments

• rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    You have to enable the audible alerts (I.e. the beeps)) in the Edge 1000. Try this: go into the settings menu and select System and then enable Tones.
  • i.e. a beep when approaching a junction and a trill when off course.

Hi, yes this is what happens.

Good luck
  • manglier
    Thanks for the replies. I double checked that I have tones selected in settings but I still get no beeps when navigating. I do get tones when switching on etc. Just not when navigating.
    As I wrote previously the official response I got from Garmin is that there are no beeps when navigating. Are there any more Edge 1000 users out there who DO get navigation tones? If so I am considering returning the unit under warranty.
  • spekky
    spekky Posts: 16
    The 1000 does beep when navigating, but only if you set turn by turn navigation. Unlike the 800, where you set this option as required for every route, with the 1000 you need to go into the general routes menu and then click on the bottom right of the screen for the options. This will then apply automatically to every route you ride. If you have not set this, you will get the message "do you want to navigate to the start of the course" when you start a route and the distance to next turn will display the total course distance remaining, with no beeps.
  • rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    The 1000 does beep when navigating, but only if you set turn by turn navigation. Unlike the 800, where you set this option as required for every route, with the 1000 you need to go into the general routes menu and then click on the bottom right of the screen for the options. This will then apply automatically to every route you ride. If you have not set this, you will get the message "do you want to navigate to the start of the course" when you start a route and the distance to next turn will display the total course distance remaining, with no beeps.

Okay, I think I've just figured out what you mean here. I've got my Edge 1000 here with me and I did this:

1. From the main screen click on Courses

2. Select the Options by clicking on the icon at the bottom-right of the 'Create New' screen (you'll also see your existing courses listed in this screen). The icon is three stacked horizontal lines at the bottom-right of the screen. This will take you to the 'Course Options' screen.

3. Turn on 'Turn Guidance' if it not already enabled and then back out to the main screen.

I presume these settings apply to all existing courses and any new courses you create on your Edge 1000?
  • spekky
    spekky Posts: 16
    Exactly.

You make it much clearer than my description. The turn directions will apply to every course once you have set this option.
  • manglier
    Thanks Spekky and rumbataz. I just checked and both Turn Guidance and Off Course Warnings are enabled but I still get no beeps. I guess that means it is a warranty issue.