Cycling routes near Lynton, Devon

Skinner2k3
Skinner2k3 Posts: 310
edited October 2015 in Road general
I am in the area for the week (Killington) and had planned a few 30 to 40 mile rides to include some of the big local climbs.

Having been here a couple of days and driven round in the car I am reconsidering, not due to the climb gradients (they were why I brought my bike) more due to sharing them with cars and coaches.

Any advice on routes to aim for or avoid would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

Comments

• whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Head up the A39 for a few Km out of Lynton and then go due south on the B3223 to Simonsbath. Then East to Exford and then North toward the A39 on Edgcott Rd and Mill Lane. West for about a Km on the A39 and then left onto Hookway Hill. Through Oare, Malmsmead, Brendon and Rockford which will take you back to the A39, then North towards Watersmeet and back to Lynton. There's a nice café at Watermeet for a pot of tea. 34 miles in total plenty of hills.

If you want a GPX route try this to create one.
    http://cycle.travel/map
  • Rob/
    Rob/ Posts: 2
    Hello,

I live in Lynton. Exmoor is a beautiful place to cycle, however, be prepared for a lot of hills!

There are tons of routes on my Strava profile: http://www.strava.me

The route I rode yesterday is fantastic (Sunday, 48 miles, 5000 feet), and is entirely on quiet moorland roads. Ride it from Lynmouth, there is a five mile climb up through the Watersmeet valley to the moor to start. (You could turn left when you get back to Simonsbath and head through to Challacombe, back to Killington via Blackmore Gate).

Countisbury Hill is another great climb out of Lynmouth, with sea views, climbing over 1000 feet in 2 miles. There then follows a wonderful coastal/moorland road to Porlock, and the infamous Porlock Hill - plus the two toll roads, the more obvious/popular one is a must, another 5 mile climb.

Ley Hill out of Horner, near Porlock (follow the Filter Station sign), is as tough and steep as it gets, just an amazing road back up to the moor.

Around the corner at Luccombe is Dunkery Beacon and Crook Horn Hill, and more great climbing.

Also, make sure you ride Jose's Lane, turn left at The Hunter's Inn, which is just down the road from you. It's a lovely 2 mile climb, with splendid sea views at the top.

Have fun.
  • Thank you both very much, that's brilliant info. I think driving up a couple of the climbs I was planning to ride had me worried as the last thing I wanted was to have to try and pass a cyclist on a steep bit.
  • Well, chose the wrong morning there! Got as far as all changed ready to go and the heavens have opened. I am keen to get out but not in this weather!

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
  • forehead
    forehead Posts: 180
    Well, chose the wrong morning there! Got as far as all changed ready to go and the heavens have opened. I am keen to get out but not in this weather!

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Rule #9 ;)
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • I know, but I want to see the nice views and not get blown off the moor :)

Heading out in a bit, looks much nicer today.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Don't go to Lynmouth as it is a long walk to Lynton

https://audaxing.wordpress.com/2015/04/05/valley-of-the-rocks-revisited/

( I am pleased to report that I subsequently fitted a 30 cassette to my bike with a triple and managed to get up that hill )

The valley of the rocks is good and you can carry on along that road. It's not far to the Hunters Inn pub. Please be careful on the descent to Hunters Inn, I broke my collar bone going down there a few years ago
  • Rob/
    Rob/ Posts: 2
    I know, but I want to see the nice views and not get blown off the moor :)

Heading out in a bit, looks much nicer today.

Good ride?
  • Yeah, was really nice. The Valley of Rocks is amazing.

Been up the Exmoor Forest climb once before this time last year. Wanted to see if I had improved, went a couple of mins quicker but forgot where the top was and took my foot off the gas at the first cattle grid :(

I had three rides planned but have only managed 1 unfortunately. Might try and sneak out for a quick spin locally, the climb out of Hunters Inn looked tough when I drove it.

Cheers for the advice Rob.
  • Hunters Inn climb.........Ouch!