Gilet for autumnal communiting - Hump flare?

milese
milese Posts: 1,233
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm after a new gillet for commuting at this time of year. Its too warm for the boil in the bag sweat coat, but there is a chill in the air and a likelihood of showers.

I've got a couple of thin summer gilets that are really flimsey, but want something that is a bit thicker with some form of high viz. I want something made out of the boil in the bag waterproof jacket material, rather than the sweat loads but only showproof jacket material.

Thought about this which is £36 everywhere:

http://www.myhump.co.uk/products/jackets-gilets/flare-mens-gilet

Anyone have one?

Or alternatives?

Thanks.

Comments

• milese
    That looks great, but I want something a bit more visible.
  • rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    I'm looking out for a gilet as well. I see that the Endura one also comes in red.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    New gilet from wiggle. Looks decent. No reviews yet though
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-lightweight-windslam-gilet/
  • I'm looking out for a gilet as well. I see that the Endura one also comes in red.
    I always buy the kit that fits/performs the best and then use iron on 3M reflective. Can pick up meters of the stuff on the bay reasonably cheaply. You can then be creative with patterns, without being restricted to expensive transfer sheets. Provided you heat the 3M enough (without melting your jacket) you'll replace your kit before you need new 3M.
    I use a sharp craft knife to cut it and a tea towel between the iron and the jacket/leggings.
  • rumbataz
    New gilet from wiggle. Looks decent. No reviews yet though
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-lightweight-windslam-gilet/

I've ordered the black/yellow version of this gilet so will report back once it arrives.
  • rumbataz
    I don't think it's very thick, Milese. It seems to be for Spring and Autumnal cycling. However, I tend to feel hot very quickly and prefer much cooler temperatures so I think it'll be fine for me for most of the Winter.
  • milese
    I don't think it's very thick, Milese. It seems to be for Spring and Autumnal cycling. However, I tend to feel hot very quickly and prefer much cooler temperatures so I think it'll be fine for me for most of the Winter.

I've ordered the flashlight thermal gilet. Will post back how I find it.

I'm hoping that a gilet rather than a jacket will prevent the overcooking, as in theory it should still breath much better than the boil in the bag I wear in the wet.

If its not what I expect wiggle returns are easy and I'll try the windslam!
  • rumbataz
    Here's a quick initial review of the dhb Aeron Lightweight Windslam Gilet.

I received the dhb Aeron Lightweight Windslam Gilet this morning. Initial thoughts were that I paid £44 for something that cost a fiver to make! It's ridiculously lightweight and thin but this is down to the tech fabrics used to manufacture it. As I unpacked it I struggled to figure out how it could keep anyone warm.

There is a tech fabric smell from the gilet but this will go away after the first wash, I imagine.

The other thing that concerned me was that it simply wouldn't fit me and I'd have to return it. I ordered a large size. XL would probably have been better for me but my weight loss is consistent every week now so it'll fit nicely in a few weeks time. It stretches quite a bit so I've managed to squeeze into it. It feel nice and snug after an hour of wearing it (indoors).

The main body is navy blue with the bright yellow at the top (shoulder-line). Down the back there's a 5" strip of mesh to allow added breathability. This really works - my back isn't hot and sweaty but feels nice and cool, yet the front of my torso is nice and warm.

There are cutouts towards the rear side so you can put your hand in and reach for your jersey/jacket back pockets.

A silicone grip at the back of the hem keeps the back in place - interestingly this grip doesn't extend to the front which is really good as it allows the front hem to adapt to your cycling position.

There's a dhb logo on the top of the back and a couple of reflective flashes on the back too. The bright yellow on the shoulders extends down the zip too.

The neck extends a nice way up to just under your chin and the back of the neck is nice and high.

So far I've only worn it at home for the last hour or so just to see how comfortable it is. It actually feels lovely! I can't imagine how something so seemingly flimsy and thin can actually keep my body core at a comfortable temperature.

I'll be going out for a ride later and will wear it, so will report back on how it performs in the Autumnal chill.

Anyway, so far I'm very happy with it but the real test will be a ride outdoors. I think it will be fine for it's advertised purpose: keeping warm in the Spring and Summer. It certainly won't be suitable for very cold Winter temperatures.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I say it all the time but it has to be said again - the Castelli Fawesome is truly awesome, wear it alot.
  • rumbataz
    A thumbs up for the dhb Aeron Lightweight Windslam Gilet after a 1-hour ride earlier. It was a nice, sunny morning and all I wore was a merino base layer, cycling tights and the gilet. Core body felt really comfortable throughout the ride and the vented back meant far less overheating and sweating. Really impressed with it, and it looks great!